IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

IEC 705-88 Microwave Oven power measurement???what is it?

What is the IEC 705-88 procedure for measuring microwave oven power output?

I've googled myself silly. Only thing I found is one Amazon book excerpt. Starts describing the procedure, but deletes two pages out of the middle...please insert $200 to read the entire article...thankyouverymuch.

I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT. I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT

Maybe if I write it 5 times, the message will get through.

I know how to measure it with a thermometer and a stopwatch.

What I'm asking is... When I go to the store and look at the numbers written on the box that state the power output per iec705, what do THEY mean...and how does that relate to what I'm gonna find when I use my stopwatch and thermometer.

One more time. I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO MEASURE MICROWAVE OVEN POWER OUTPUT. I'm asking how IEC705 measures power output.

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

Ohhhh.. you mean leakage.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"mike"

** Very secret & very mysterious .....

** All references on the net suggest that the IEC method uses a " formula " to compute the effective microwave power level on the basis of a specified test.

The dish of water and a thermometer method is fairly obviously not recise - there is the heat stored in the dish itself and lost when water vapour that is formed during the test.

PLUS heat energy is lost due to radiation and conduction from the dish as it rises above ambient.

Seems the IEC method compensates for all these factors and you wind up with a figure that is about 10 to 15 % more than the imprecise method.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks, the 15% number is what I was after. Still would be nice to be able to know the procedure. Only reason to keep stuff secret is that it's somehow misleading and can't stand scrutiny. Oh well, what's new...

Reply to
mike

Sort of like Campbell Hausfield being able to claim that an air compressor motor that draws 15 amps is

5 HP.

Or my favorite, watts as measured in "music power."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

** It ain't actually secret - it's just well protected by copyright.

So you 'as to pay to know.

Keeps out the riff-raff who are merely curious ....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Or computer speakers rated '1500 WATTS!!!', yet they are powered by a

9 volt 500 mA wall wart.
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell