I have a 12 volt 3 pole motor their is a dead spot between 2 segments,how can

I have an old 12 volt 3 phase model railroad motor that has a dead spot between two segments of the commutator.How can i fix it because to get a replacement is almost impossible

Reply to
Bob C

Either find the broken wire, or re-wind it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No experience personally, but arent' such problems usually right at the end of the wire, in this case where it connects to the commutator.

Is this Lionel? I do have experience with one of their commutators. Although it was 55 years ago, I remember a lot. Actually what I remember is that the commutator was a separate part from the motor, though maybe not every engine was like that.

Reply to
micky

"Bob C"

** You mean 12volt 3 pole ?

Typically, 12 volt DC motors have 5 poles - with only three, arcing across the comm segments will be severe with 12V input.

** There may be a short between two segments or such a bad carbon burn on one that current cannot flow.

Ideally, you need to trim the com by mounting the rotor in a small lathe, but most times emery paper will do the job - long as the damage is not too bad.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

adjust the brushes, after cleaning up the commy!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Depends.

The model racing cars my dad imported while I was a kid (Jouef) had 3 poles, while the trains, especially the higher class models, had 5 poles, to be able to drive more slowly and smoothly.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

"Leif Neland" Phil Allison:

** What I wrote is accurate.

** IME they spend only a faction of the time with 12V applied.

** Not the reason at all.

It's easy to get 3 pole motors to run slowly, SCR and pulse controllers have been doing it for decades.

Back in the 90s, I raced 1/10th scale RC cars on both tracks and a elodrome - 3 pole motors were the norm with 7.2 V SubC NiCd packs. The motors lasted quite well.

Add one more cell and the motor life was cut by a factor of about 10, add two more and the same motor was lucky to last two minutes.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What is typical can be depending on many factors, including date.

It was also decades ago, i was a kid.

This was in the 70's. Scale 1/40 cars, transformer-driven.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

"Leif Neland = TROLL"

** What I wrote is accurate, what you are saying is absurd crap.
** Try making an actual point sometime - pal.

I know that is very difficult for a retard like you.

Rest of your tripe snipped.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison har bragt dette til os:

If you re-read the original post:

The "old 12 v railroad motor" might be so old my points were valid.

Leif

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to