HT subwoofer vol stuck on high

Hi all

I have a home theater subwoofer that the volume is stuck on high and I can' t adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checked the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned th e control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with i t??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed!!!

Serge

Reply to
sisko125

n't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checke d the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed! !!

Sounds like the ground end of the pot has come disconnected. Most likely wh ere it's soldered, or perhaps inside the pot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, very frequent problem, especially if the pot is not bolted to the case, is that the resistance element has cracked. If that is the case, most likely the pot will have to be replaced.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

A basic multimeter should determine whether the pot is bad or disconnected.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

n't adjust with the knob low or high it's just stuck on high. I have checke d the solder around the volume control and resoldered them all and cleaned the control with a contact/lube spray and still nothing. What is wrong with it??? What can I do to check for the problem? Any advice will be welcomed! !!

If you didn't manage to fix it so far, adding a resistor from pot centre ta p to ground should sort it. Value = apx half the resistance of the pot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr