how would you use an oscilloscope to measure a sine wave?

I'm using 'intonation' to mean proper well-tempered tuning, e.g., C mid- staff should be precisely an octave (2x the frequency) of middle-C below the staff. On clarinets each note should be in well-tempered tuning with every other; that doesn't happen. As well, there's a 'register key' when opened that is supposed to raise the pitch a perfect 12th - this doesn't work out as it ideally should. A middle-C (right below the staff) goes up to a top-line G when the register key is opened - it should be a perfect 12th but it rarely is. Instrument designers do the best can to make their instruments completely in tune with themselves but it is impossible due to the '12th key'. All the holes that determine pitch (along with the bore dimensions, barrel, bell, mouthpiece, reed and players oral cavity) have an effect on the pitch.

I should add, as well, that the clarinet, within reason, can be tuned to other instruments by pulling out the barrel and/or middle joint. This is routinely necessary as the instrument warms up and thus goes up in pitch.

Intonation in the other sense you're using it, harmonics, are peculiar to the clarinet, as they are primarily odd, not even harmonics of the fundamental.

All of this oddness is due to the fact that the clarinet is basically cylindrical (not conical like a sax or oboe) and closed at one end (where the mouthpiece is) unlike a flute.

Reply to
Bennett Price

I took your use of the word intonation in the wrong context because not alo t of people know about the musical instrument aspect of it.

I have made myself and a few guitarists happy by setting the neck so they p lay nice and easy. Usually on electric guitars, very few acoustics are adju stable, at least that I have seen. Also, recently (to me that is like five years) I learned how to set up and tune a violin. Of course without frets y ou can make it how you want it. With frets it has to be right.

Hmm, OK trumpets and whatever need to be tuned, but what about a trombone ?

Reply to
jurb6006

** Ah, this explains the clarinet producing acoustic square waves.

A combination of fundamental tone, third, fifth and seventh harmonics.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

?

Like most brass instruments a trombone comes with a main tuning slide. It is a U shaped piece of tubing right on the top (behind your head when you'r e playing). You set that for the group you're playing with.

But you also make fine adjustments with the slide that moves. Trombone is "fretless" just like a violin. The slide has an approximately correct posi tion but it always has to be slightly fine tuned for every note, because th ere are many notes in each position but all have tendencies to be sharp or flat, and notes sometimes have to be adjusted sharp or flat because of the musical context.

I've been playing in various groups for most of the past 50 years, and I've observed a recent tendency to standardize pitch much more. In the 60s a S troboconn tuning machine cost $2600, which was more than a car back then. Now everybody has a $20 electronic tuner that is just as accurate. While n ot everybody uses them correctly, the overall effect is that groups have a central pitch much closer to 440 than in the old days.

Reply to
Tim R

Around 1964 our Jr High had a band program and had one of the Stroboconn machine. I thought it was called a Stroboscope, but hard to remember what it was from over 40 years ago. Maybe the band director called it wrong then.

I do remember the trombones being adjusted like you said. P:iece on the back was moved in or out. I never did know how they could move the slide in and out for the different notes and get them right. I think the band directors favorite note was a B to set everyone to.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

:

ne ?

t is a U shaped piece of tubing right on the top (behind your head when you 're playing). You set that for the group you're playing with.

s "fretless" just like a violin. The slide has an approximately correct po sition but it always has to be slightly fine tuned for every note, because there are many notes in each position but all have tendencies to be sharp o r flat, and notes sometimes have to be adjusted sharp or flat because of th e musical context.

ve observed a recent tendency to standardize pitch much more. In the 60s a Stroboconn tuning machine cost $2600, which was more than a car back then. Now everybody has a $20 electronic tuner that is just as accurate. While not everybody uses them correctly, the overall effect is that groups have a central pitch much closer to 440 than in the old days.

One more step off subject. Apologies in advance. I remember being in a band in my 20s. Those were great years playing local bars. Unfortunately I did not have the magic so I stayed with electronics. What is that magic? I have played with some greats and it always surprises myself how they can hear a song one time and just run with it while I have to work for it. Ask Sammy Davis Jr what key to play in and he will say whiskey. What is that magic?

Reply to
John Heath

The strobe tuner of yore is still available:

Bennett Price

check this out, it explains the circuit (back on topic for the forum)

Tim R