How well do silver paints/pens fare at trace repair?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if I could solicit opinions/experience with the use of silver paints/pens for repairing broken PC traces.

I have a board that was cracked completely in half and all of the traces were broken, too. There are many of them and they are quite small. I attempt fine wire/solder repair but that wasn't going too well.

I am considering trying to use either silver paint w/fine applicator brush or a silver paint pen to try to repair the traces across the crack (I have already physically repaired the crack itself.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Mr. Land

For fine trace bridge-wiring you have to stagger the lands on each side of the break to give soldering room.

If you try paint, reinforce the board wherever is free from traces, clean as best, paint over the whole relevant area, let solidify, and then with a razor blade/ scalpel and small straight edge, cut into the paint between the traces.

N Cook

as

he

That scalpel technique sounds like a great idea.

Thank you.

Reply to
Mr. Land

Ya, but.... The OP's problem was/is a _cracked_ PCB. I fear the conductive paint will wick down into the crack and migrate every which-a-way.

GL Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Second that. I tried to repair a damaged trace on a PDA touch screen. Got overzealous with the silver paint and it wicked all the way to the center of the screen between the touch surface and the display glass. Bummer...

--
Return address is VALID!
Reply to

I would just solder wires across the gaps.

Reply to
Marra

So would I. If it flexed once, it will flex again. Soldered wires have much more "give" than paint.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

"Mr. Land" wrote in news:5a87d396-034e-4360-a92f- snipped-for-privacy@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

consider that a cracked trace was caused by board flex;why would PAINT be any better at staying connected?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's not that the traces cracked due to excessive flex of the board - it's that the entire board was physically broken in half (I suppose you could say, due to _extreme_ flex!)

I physically repaired the board by using Gorilla glue - that glue completely filled in any gaps along the crack (and oozed out along the component side, which is OK with me, just extra strength as I see it.) So there doesn't seem to be any danger of the silver paint oozing down below the surface of the board and making undesirable paths.

Anyway, I picked up a silver applicator pen today and gave this a try

- alas, even with the pen, the paint is too hard to control to repair these fine traces.

I guess I'll go with point-to-point wiring. And since that's been brought up %^)...

Years ago I did some wire wrapping prototypes, and the wrapping wire I had at that time was very fine (sorry, can't state the exact gauge), and it had a coated insulation that burned away with a soldering iron (in other words, no stripping necessary.) It seems like this would be ideal to use for this repair - only I can't seem to find anything like this on the 'net.

Anyone heard of this stuff/seen it anywhere?

Thanks very much folks, for all the great advice.

Reply to
Mr. Land

You probably mean this, which is what I use.

It`s called prototyping wire, you can get a tool which makes it easier to handle, or if you're cheap like me, make your own out of an old biro.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

No . the paint will get hard & crack

Reply to
Ken G.

That's exactly what I use for circuit board repair. It is still available, but it's been a while since I bought any. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Search for 30ga. Kynar (sorry to non-U.S. readers, only know domestic spec.)

Michael

Reply to
msg

Beldsol wire, from Belden; it needs a hot (over 700 F) iron to work, came in a prototyping kit in a couple of different gages (the kit was Vector brand, as I recall).

Reply to
whit3rd

Yep. I have actually done this, during IC debug and test, to patch two points on a single die together. After scraping through the glass or oxide. this was in the days of 3u devices!

The trick was to get silver paint with a high enough silver content in it. After lots of phoning around we were told to visit the local ford dealer and use the paint they use to repair the rear window demisters in ford cars. This was over ten years ago......

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie