How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

I've convened this multi-disciplinary forum, becuase this is a
multi-faceted problem.

How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara with a factory AM-FM-CD changer, all in the
dash, not the trunk.

It worked fine until about 2014, with 6 cd's in it, a full load, but
then I got Err 2, or Err n, and eventually I took the radio out, opened
the cover and fiddled with it and when back it the car, it worked again.

A year later, same problem, same solution.   Only put in 3 cds

A year later, same problem but pushing buttons at the same time or
while something else was happening fixed it. only put in 2 cds.

A year later, even though I probably have 3 cds in it, the little icons,
one for each cd that is loaded, no longer appear, and pushing the CD
button causes nothing at all to happen.  No error, no nothing.

Bought a new car (a 2004 Sebring) with, almost by chance, a cassette and
external CD changer (but right under the radio) so now before I sell the
other car, I want my CD's out of there.

Took it out, took off the cover, barely any access, only as big as two
regular postage stamps, which enables me to turn the top CD in one
direction but not the other.   Can't seem to get either side off.  Can't
remember exactly how I fiddled the first two times, put it back in car,
still dead.

Any suggestions?

After the seminar, lunch will be available in cafeteria.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

????

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?
If it were my car I would take it out of the car, shake it, turn upside
down, etc., then apply 12v power to the appropriate wires and see if
it ejects.  If not then I would take it apart.  Take photos of
the disassembly at each important step.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

You can buy an extraction tool.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-lb-Forged-Steel-Sledge-Hammer-with-14-in-Fiberglass-Handle/50041776

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?
Hahahahhaah!

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

Visit a salvage yard, buy an identical stereo, install it in the car.
Strip the old one to get the CDs out, scrap the carcass.

New owner gets a working stereo and doesn't think you're an a$$ for
trying to sell one that doesn't work (added value when you don't have a
list of "this doesn't work" items)

You get your CDs back undamaged, and it doesn't matter if the unit is
destroyed in the process.

--
Steve W.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t213159-toyota_dashboard_cd_player_eject

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?
In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:12:05 -0500, "."

The car needs a lot of work and I'm only hoping to get 1000 dollars for
it, and I'm going to tell the prospective buyer that the CD doesn't
work.

But it runs very well, very quiet, and very smooth, and only has 95,000
miles.  However the rear window and top need replacing for $2000 iirc
and, in the by far the biggest repair failure of my life, I took apart
the passender door, the console, and the lower dashboard/glove
complartment, and don't feel like putting them back together again,
though I will be glad to help the buyer.

Wow, this is right on the money.  The question is about the same car and
the same radio I have, and there are lots of answers.  Just what I hoped
for.  Thanks.  And there is a link to another page.  Unfortunately none
worked.  Because it's a changer, there is no pin hole to release the
tray (there is no tray, as such) and even though I can take off the
cover and push the top cd towards the opening, something big is in the
way.  And I haven't disconnecte the battery or taken out the fuses, but
I've taken out the radio 3 times now.

The big problem seems to be that there seem to be no power to the CD.  I
tried pushing the button harder and from a different angle, tried
pushing combinations of buttons, looked again for a CD fuse. I'm quite
surprised that the electronics would fail as well as t he mechanism.

I can unscrew a little of the frame, as Paul in Houston suggests, but
the rest of "taking it apart" will have to be done with a saw.  I'm not
kidding.  It's no loss because the CD player is kaput and I don't think
I will hurt the radio or cassette (which work well).   These things are
usually modular, and I dout think there are any radio parts in the metal
box which is the CD.

Thanks everyone.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

Around these parts folks'll pay 1000 for a non running Toyota rusted to the
 ground (most of them around here do after 5 years).  A running yota with o
nly 95K miles will bring three times that even needing a roof.  Gotta be wo
rth that parted out.  Where you going to find a 2000 Toyota engine and tran
ny for that kind of money.  Are you sure that's all it will bring?

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

Good Lord! What kind of Luddite is still using a CD in a car?

Install a unit that will read a USB thumb drive or MP3 player.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

That can be a very interesting thing in many newer vehicles that use the
factory stereo for a lot more than music. Many are part of the security
system, the memory options are stored in it, then if you have the ones
where it is an all in one with the HVAC, navigation and more....

--
Steve W.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?
Someone driving a fully depreciated 17 year old vehicle who doesn't want
to spend a lot of money on a new audio device, not to mention a lot to
get it installed if he's not handy...

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?
In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:44:42 -0400, ralph

It's really amazing how many people on Usenet are willing to be
insulting.  I wonder if they are like that in their personal lives.

You're also a very sloppy  reader or you'd know that's the car I'm
selling.

There are good reasons not to do either of these things, but I'm not
going to bother telling you.  You may not be a luddite but I don't think
you want to learn anything either.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

The target audience to buy your used car is a half-broke teenager.  They'll want a car with a USB port on the stereo.

If you wanna sell your car, put one in.   Get it yet, Gramps?

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

Sure, put a $200 radio in it and get $50 more for the car.  Let the kid
put in his own music of choice.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

How does $28.99 work for you?

https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Control-Included-Xshop/dp/B06XR3ZLJF

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

That could work.  If it is a decent radio it is damned cheap for the
features.  That could pay for itself.

Seems like a few years ago a crappy Sparkomatic AM radio was more than
that.

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

The target audience to buy your used car is a half-broke teenager. They'll want a car with a USB port on the stereo.

If you wanna sell your car, put one in.   Get it yet, Gramps?

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

I'm still using a CD and it works perfectly for me.

My CD player happens to support Data format CDs with MP3s.
Each CD holds 250 tracks.  With a few CDs I've got a LOT of music
in that car and at 250 tracks per, I don't need a changer.

--
Dan Espen

Re: How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

My car takes CD USB and Bluetooth.  Fact is, with SiriusXM I've not used
any of them for a couple of years.  I should put the MP3 CD from my last
car in this one though.  I've not gotten arount to it in 21 months.

Site Timeline