How to properly feed GPS navigation prompts into a bluetooth earpiece?

Can someone explain how to force GPS navigation into my bluetooth earpiece? I don't understand why BT GPS Naviation works for my bluetooth speaker, but it doesn't work for my bluetooth earpiece.

Debugging on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I see something strange (to me):

What I found, is there are (apparently?) two different kinds of BT! a) Motorola Roadster (*connected to phone and media audio*) b) Samsung HM1300 (*connected to phone audio*)

Hmmmmmm...... Are there two *different* kinds of bluetooth audio (media & phone)?

If that is the problem, how do I get the right kind of GPS audio into my bluetooth earpiece just like it does with my bluetooth visor speaker?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but here's something I learned a while back:

I have an older Sony-Ericsson cellphone that has a music player function. The phone also has BT, and I have an earbud that works fine

*for telephone conversations*. I had a reason for wanting to play music through the BT earbud, but nothing I could do got it to work. The manual says the music player will work with BT, so I called the "help" line to find out what I was doing wrong.

Turns out that in order for the phone to play music via BT, the BT headset *has to be stereo*. It would have been easy for the software folks to just mix the two audio channels and send that to the BT in the case that it was mono, but nooooo. They had to do it the stupid way and just forbid the audio.

And according to S-E, there's no way around it; stereo BT or no audio for you!

So the problem is actually just stupid programmers (or spec writers, same result).

Maybe you're having the same problem?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

I don't understand that, unfortunately. Seems unrelated.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Your bluetooth playback device has to support the A2DP functions. This is for stereo and play controls. There are quite a few single earpiece that will also handle A2DP.

--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

I'm a little confused because I had not known anything about "A2DP".

Googling, "Advanced Audio Distribution Profile", I find this:

Which says there are two channels for bluetooth, one for phone, and, essentially, the other for GPS.

That article kept using the word "profile", so, looking that up, I find:

While this stuff is new to me, do I have this right yet?

Q: What do I need to get GPS voice over a bluetooth earpiece? A: (tentative) Bluetooth 2.0 + A2DP ???

Is that what I should look for in an earpiece to get GPS voice?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

If you GPS will work with a bluetooth speaker, then it should work with a bluetooth earpiece that supports A2DP. I use an ICON ERA to listen to audiobooks and navigation from my phone.

--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Rusling

I like the flip-boom earpieces that Motorola sells (because they're trivially easy to shut off and turn on); but unfortunately, my H730 doesn't appear to have A2DP.

Googling for Motorola flip-boom H2DP earpieces, I find an alphabet soup here:

Do any of these Bluetooth "profiles" add any value to me for GPS listening? A2DP 1.2, Hands Free (HFP), AVRCP 1.4, HFP 1.6

Does the "version" of A2DP (i.e., 1.2) matter or can *any* version work?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

I don't think Motorola makes a flip boom a2dp ear piece. You'll have to try Plantronics.

Reply to
Jerry Liston