How to open Dell E173FPC LCD Monitor

I have a Dell E173FPC monitor which I think I can probebly fix (by replacing the backlight) if I could only figure out how to get the back off!

Can anybody let me into the secret 9and if you have replaced the backlight on this monitor, give me some tips on that too.

Thanks

Reply to
cpvh

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk wrote in news:b5659840-e914-4911-bcb7-9696adc91410 @z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Once you remove all the screws, most cases are held together by various molded 'latches' on the plastic case parts that lock together with other molded spots on the other part of the case.

Running a thin piece of tough plastic, such as a guitar pick, around the seam will usually release the 'latches'.

I sharpen the handle of a 'disposable' plastic spoon or fork or use the blade of a plastic knife to release the 'latches'. Cheap and some of the plastic disposable utensils are very tough.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Here is a link to a site with the disassembly instructions and pictures for the E172 which is simular to your E173.

It looks like there are 4 lamps and most likely you have a bad power / inverter board not lamps.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol

Thanks for the advice Gnack.

I also got anothe rlink to a repair info site for a similar monitor at

This from Kelvin at Micro-Lite

He sells backlights in the UK and gave me some good advice (ie, he thinks it probably isn't the backlight, and I can probably get the parts cheaper on ebay than from him!)

I have orderered some replacement transistors from a guy on ebay and will try and source some replacement caps also.

The trick for opening the monitor case was to use a flat blade screwdriver and starting at the bottom seam twist while pushing in quite hard. Then do the sides, then you cap just open the top without the use of the screwdriver.

I will give an update to let you know if I get it working.

Thaks again folks!

Reply to
cpvh

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:44:09 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk put finger to keyboard and composed:

Oh dear. The article you referenced is suggesting that you replace the original 2SC5707 lo-sat switching transistors with MJE3055 audio frequency transistors. That's a very bad idea.

Here in Australia you can get the originals for around a few dollars each. Be sure to replace the electrolytic capacitors, and reflow the solder at each of the coils and transformers.

Here is the datasheet for the transistor: http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/sanyo/2SC5707.pdf

BTW, I've repaired a similar fault in a Dell (= Benq) LCD monitor, model E172FPb.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar