How to determine the frame rate of a pc?

Feeding to an external monitor with 1600x1200, the image is locked but feeding a colour bar test signal in, its as though the colour saturation is just one bit. Left side white to mid of the RGB colour bands are saturated full on RGB colour and to the right of centre all are black. Setting the pc to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 the image is fine. External monitor is capable of 1600x1200 , 60Hz , 60Hz only . Win7 and XP machines seem to only show the resolution in display properties as 1600x1200 , not the frame rate, how to check if its 60 or something else

Reply to
N_Cook

Go to "advanced settings" on the page that lists the resolutions.

Reply to
Pat

I found that Hz info on the win7 machine that has lower resolutions but not the XP one which has the 1600x1200 output

Reply to
N_Cook

Install Powerstrip. It will tell you more than ye need to know.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

I just powered up my old XP notebook. On the video settings page, I chose "advanced", then clicked on the "monitor" tab. It shows the refresh setting (60 Hz in my case).

Reply to
Pat

Another way to see the monitor speeds is to use the menu on the monitor (some monitors, anyhow). It's possible that your saturation-or-monochrome issue is related to the memory limits of the video (card?) - sometimes there are just not enough memory bits available to have both highest resolution and 24 bits of color information for each pixel. If it's really 'black', though, that's more likely a gamma setting or (old monitors) analog gain and offsets of the R,G, and B , as well as the (CRT) "screen" brightness control. The gray-bars test pattern is required for making these adjustments, as well as some HV precautions and insulated adjustment tools.

Reply to
whit3rd

I had tried dropping back to 16 bit colour but the same "1 bit" saturation effect on a test colour bar image. I also had another rummage around for video settings but could only find display settings of a x b and no Hz info

Reply to
N_Cook

There /has/ to be a "screen refresh rate" setting somewhere. The rate has to be within the range a monitor can handle. This is particularly true for CRT displays, which can be damaged by an excessively high rate.

I right-clicked the Windows 7 desktop, and selected "Screen Resolution". On that screen, I clicked "Advanced settings". On the "Monitor" tab, you can select the screen refresh rate.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Win7 is ok,ignore previous, the problem is with XP , happens to be Pro version, not showing the Hz settings.

Reply to
N_Cook

XP shows the Hz setting, too. On the screen resolutions page, click the advanced link and then select the monitor tab. It looks different than 7, but it is there.

Reply to
Pat

Perhaps the screen is organized with an incompatible setup to your bar-generating program? Right-click on the program, and see if there's variant video settings available (there's some version-to-version variation in the video settings matrix, a type that has been outmoded gets ditched in favor of settings for a new high-res screen sometimes). In this scenario, the 'black' parts are addressing into uninitialized memory on the video card.

Reply to
whit3rd