How to convert old NuTone Intercom IM-4006 cassette to iPod

Does anyone know how to convert an old NuTone IM 4006 from playing cassette tapes to playing iPod music instead?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

I think there are cassette adapters that look like a cassette with a stereo plug and cable attached that drives a magnetic transducer that sits against the tape head in the cassette player. I found one, there are lots of them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That might be a good idea.

I didn't think of an adapter (I was thinking more about replacing the NuTone IM4006 built-in "head unit" with one that handles the iPod instead of a cassette.

But your idea is also an option. Googling, I found on Amazon a "Monster iCarPlay Cassette Adapter 800 for iPod and iPhone (3 feet)" for $17.

The main problem with the cassette-to-iPod adapter is that the iPod will just hang on the cord against the wall. I was hoping for something cleaner.

Is there a way to use this adaptor without the iPod just dangling down?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

I picked up a Monster A IP FM-CH 250 iCarPlay Wireless 250 FM Transmitter for iPod® & iPhone from the local electronics store

I was hoping I could plug just the USB cable part of the 12v-auto-USB charger into a nearby computer and transmit the iPod songs within 30 feet of the Nutone Intercom IM 4006 into the FM radio.

But, for some reason, the Monster wireless FM transmitter doesn't get received on the Nutone IM.4006 so I'll likely return it as a failure.

I'm not sure why this didn't work but maybe I was too far from the antenna???

Where is the Nutone antenna anyway?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

It could be capacitively coupled to the house wiring.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi!

It could be quite far away from the intercom itself. Some of those units had a central control unit that was put in an attic or basement.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

r.

Maybe this will help...

DerbyDad03

I was hoping to get some help for an accessory that actually worked but I guess there are only one or two people out there who actually have a NuTone iPod setup (I guess it's too expensive for most who post).

In the end, this $300 "iPod? iCast Wireless Solution" from NuTone that was emailed to me looks like it might have to be the best we can collectively come up with on this newsgroup.

The only problem is that the literature doesn't say whether it works with the Nutone IM 4006 or not. So, I'm still looking about.

Reply to
Donna DeLong

?

ne

was

re:' ...there are only one or two people out there who actually have a NuTone iPod setup (I guess it's too expensive for most who post). "

Why would you guess that?

I would guess that it's simply not something that "most who post" have a desire for.

Your guess implies that if "most who post" had the money, "most who post" would go buy one.

I'd guess that money is not the reason that "most who post" don't have one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I used to repair Nutone equipment, and have no desire to own anything they sell.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

That's probably more logical. I was hoping someone (anyone) had an older NuTone that they added an iPod to.

I'm pretty surprised there's nobody out there who has done this but it is what it is so I'm stuck on my own.

I'll write it up when/if I figure out how best to add an iPod to the Nutone home intercomm/radio/casette built-in sound system.

Thanks.

Reply to
Donna DeLong

I inherited the Nutone IM 4006 Intercom/Radio/Cassette when I bought a house. I didn't put it in but it's a mid-range home (way over a million) out here in California (where nothing is below a million or so in any decent town) so I would have assumed the builders put in quality equipment.

Is NuTone not quality equipment? If not, what is?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

Nutone is aimed at builders. It is cheap, with a high markup. That system would have cost the builder about $100 to $150 and added $3,000 to $5,000 to the sale price of the home.

I never saw a home intercom that was well built. I repaired a lot of brands for a 20+ year period. They are a selling point for the builders. I knew several builders that wouldn't use anything else, because it was the cheapest on the wholesale market. Miami-Carey was about the same quality, but cost about 15% more. It appears that Miami-Carey is out of business, which is no big loss.

A lot of the work was for fire restoration contractors. The intercoms were replaced, rather than fill a dozen holes in the walls.

The new models are all plastic. At least their earlier products were metal which would hold up for about 15 years.

Home intercoms were built around a $15 radio with extra switches for the intercom function.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Nutone is a really low quality product line (picture the lowest quality radio you can buy with a couple switches and a wall mounting frame) designed as a cheap way for the builder to "fluff up" houses (currently McMansions).

Reply to
George

The intercom is mono, so you won't get stereo out of it. Look at how the cassette deck is connected to the intercom. It should be line level audio tha can be routed to a jack to use the cassette mode to play your ipod. A double ended miniature audio cable that will plug into the headphone jack, with a couple 5K resistors to mix the two channels to mono should work.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

You can buy a cassette adaptor to allow you to play portable audio devices over your car stereo. The same would work in your NT system. You can also buy an FM transmitter that will plug into an IPod allowing you to receive the Ipod on a vacant position on the FM dial.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I wouldn't mind replacing the NuTone IM4006 with a better quality system that plays an iPod.

What are the better brands for home intercomm/doorbell/iPod/radio ?

Reply to
Donna DeLong