How-To: Common Cause Of Flat Panel PS Failure

This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4 electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS. There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25) Symptoms of failure are: slow power-up or totally dead.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Correct. 'Bob Villa' apparently wants repeat business as his high ESR caps will fail quickly. Note, 'Bob', good quality low ESR caps aren't real expensive - you just aren't going to buy them at Radio Shack or Caps R Us.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Got them from Newark (Illinois Cap. and Rubycon)

Reply to
Bob Villa

Going to a higher voltage usually raises the initial ESR. That kind of defeats the purpose of repairing the equipment.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Which series? The brand tells you nothing about their specifications.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Opposite, higher voltage rating usually lowers ESR ;) Check the datasheets.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

you can build yourself a very usefull esr meter to identify quickly the faulty capacitor ...

schematics here, simple analog to sophisticated digilat esr meter.

regards,

--
---
Kripton

4

d/or

her

ESR

n't

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-shit! (Original crap lasted 5 yrs)

Reply to
Bob Villa

FAIL. You're out of your element here. Go back and troll alt.home.repair. Your bullshit might be better told there where you don't have real repair techs who did/do this kind of stuff for a living.

Meat Plow

:

gh

aps

I'm only relating what I did/or found to fix a problem I had...if you shitheads want to add to that...your purgative. Sorry if it has been covered here before.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Dipshit? You don't even know how to snip a sig file, let alone anything about real troubleshooting. I've been finding and replacing bad electrolytics for over 45 years.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It depends on the construction ot the Electrolytic. Some larger size cans have four identical capacitors in parallel, inside the can to lower the ESR. A lot don't.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm not entirely sure that I go along with that, Michael. The chart of 'expected' ESRs on the front of Bob Parker's meter, would suggest that increasing the working voltage for a given capacitance value, produces ever lower ESR figures, until you get up to about 100v working, when the trend reverses slightly, and small increases are then recorded ... I've always found that chart of his a pretty good guide.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've seen some brands that didn't follow that chart very well. The cheaper brands seem more like they set the spec with a dartboard. I had datasheets for over fifty brands t one time, and some so called low ESR were no better than the lowest grade of standard electrolytics. Other do follow Bob Parker's chart quite well.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Even Bob P. isn't very happy with the chart - it is only a guideline, not a code sheet...

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Alas, the mastertech doesn't understand sarcasm.

Reply to
Bob Villa

You can't even do sarcasm well, and I'm not being sarcastic.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The only thing you do well...other than being a critic...is please yourself.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Yawn. I built KU band communications equiment that is aboard the ISS, and all you do is whine.