How to adjust Volume control range on TV monitor?

I use Direct TV satellite receiver.

For the monitor connected via HDMI camble: Element Electreonics 40 inch LCD, ELGFT401

After following all the setup, several things make NO sense.

What is 'automatic volume control'?

The manual says ON/OFF to turn the automatic volume control on or off, which is not a lot of help.

How do I adjust the range of control down to a LISTENING level. In the manual only describes if it's not loud enough for you?! Note: the volume control settings are

0 is NO SOUND 1 is daytime comfortable listening, maybe up to 2 or 3 to 'feel' the sound. Everything on up to 99 is louder than a party of Americans in a restaurant.

The problem is that at night, 1 is TOO loud, hurts ears, It is an upsetting level. Again, 0 is OFF so there is nothing in between.

Any ideas on ways to adjust the range ...without cutting into the unit?

Anybody have a ??update.pkg file I can download through the monitor's USB port to change what they gave me? Seriously, above 4 or 5 the sound HURTS your ears, like a Rock Concert! So need an easy way to do this.

I fear 'blocking' the speakers with sound absorbing material will only filter the sound rendering the speech unintelligible.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Hasn't the satellite receiver got volume controls on the remote?.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The volume control on the Direct TV remote controls the MONITOR's volume only, not the 'feed' to the monitor. Same with Power ON/OFF, feeds simultaneously through to the Monitor when you turn ON/OFF the satellite receiver.

Thus, no effect on the 'range'

Reply to
Robert Macy

Ah, I see. It's like my TiVo. The remote for that sends IR to the output device, as well as the recorder.

Your satellite receiver and monitor should also have analogue RCA inputs and outputs for sound. Perhaps you could connect these, and get better control of the sound level using that? (That is if the HMDI digital audio is not enforced if the video input is in use).

Or you could try external speakers (PC audio?) that have a volume control, and connect them to the monitor's headphone jack.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

In the comments for this TV on the Walmart Web site, people have the same complaint. Apparently you will have to live with it or exchange it.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Thank you. The Walmart site hangs any/all of our 3 systems, so cannot use it. Had to order completely by phone and couldn't view thoses 'reviews'

Exchange is not going to be easy, snice [Element Electronics filed bankruptcy June 2011 with one of the LONGEST list of creditors I've ever seen!]

ADRIAN's idea of external speakers I had thought of but Ms. Macy has an aversion to miles of wires and boxes and 'stuff'

The software fix is tantalizing, because it seems like it should be possible to do, just someone has to do it, and distribute it. Wouldn't take much to add the 'range' control function since everything looks like software menu anyway.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Highly unlikely that you'll find a "software" solution. Actually I say no chance.

What I would do is to open up the unit and put 8 ohm 15 or 20 watt power resistors in series with one side of each of the speaker connections. If the speakers are already 8 ohm units that will cut down the power delivered to the speaker to half. If the speakers are some other impedance then adjust the ohms value of the resistors to match so as to get the approximate power reduction to the speakers.

I suggest this approach because normally there are easily accessible wire harnesses that go to the speakers that you can break into and add the power resistors. Trying to apply some type of attenuation within the PC board, hardware wise, would be a much more complex thing to puzzle through even if you had access to good schematics and tools to work with the SMT circuitry that is used in almost all devices these days.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

Thank you for suggestion.

Just didn't want to 'cut' into the unit. Your suggestion of interrupting lines to speakers has its advantages. Just there's no place to mount the parts. But may not matter, SMT is not as robust physically as the older through hole stuff. Trace widths thinner, adhesion sucks.

Reluctant to play with the damping to the speakers. Can't believe damping is much of an issue here, because playing with the BASS TREBLE controls did not appreciably change intelligibility of the speech. Adding a resistor decreases damping, especially if the speakers are driven from a low impedance source. Plus speaker impedances are all over the place, so can't even count on a half voltage drop, right? Half voltage, quarter power, only a 6dB drop, but may be enough to move the range to a comfortable listening zone. I might try 16 parallel to 8 to speaker just to keep everything 'right' but if driven by solid state the 16 parallel is a waste.

Wow 25 watt are going to be fairly large. Which would you recommend: Brown ceramic, or the aluminum 'quanset' hut ones? Tucked inside a shrink tube, won't even cool very well. Only saving grace is that 1 watt of sound for us hurts! Easily listen in the 10-20mW range and at night could be as low as 2-5mW. Keep in mind we clearly hear headsets playing at normal volume from across the room.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert Macy