How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

Mostly I use the microwave for heating already-cooked food.

One exception is bacon.

--
24 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." -- Upton Sinclair, Huey P. Long, and others.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Maybe, we have one that was manufactured in 1983, still works fine, but we have two, and this one is not used as much.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Just for the record, I consciously used the phrase, because it reminds me of simpler times, harmed only by the extra time it took to turn on the radio or tv. (In the movies, sometimes they would turn something on and it woudl start immediately. I did stay at a hotel once 8 years ago that was also operating in the 30's and it still had the remote speaker/channel selector for the central radio it used then. Each room had one and the patron could swtich between two or three stations, and adjust the volume, so when you turned it on, it went on immediately. Unfortunately, the hotel finally closed.)

I'm pretty sure mine is less tnan 4 seconds becuase I really have used

7 seconds and found noticeable heating, more than I think 3 seconds would have done, based on the prior 10 seconds.

BTW, if you get one of those slabs of chocolate chip cookies, precut, they say to cook them in a hot oven of course, but 37 seconds per square does a good job. Not like baked, but like a differen4 recipe.

Another reason to know the startup time is if I make two of them, it only has to start-up once, so it needs less than twice the time, but the instructions already say less than twice the time, and their differential is greater than 4 seconds. I think there is some reason for that other than start-up, warm-up time.

Reply to
micky

FromTheRafters posted for all of us...

Get a Binford 6150 MMMMM More power.

--
Tekkie
Reply to

Heh, you could put a flashbulb in there, no missing that indicator...one of the "urban legends" of the day, when I was working on military radar systems was that you could take out all the flashbulbs in the base exchange store if you forgot to blank the output as it rotated by that direction...no idea if it's true or not, but 5MW could fry most anything if you wanted to bad enough.

Reply to
Bill Martin

30 years ago I saved a couple flashbulbs for the expected shortage, but I don't know where they are now.
Reply to
micky

I may take your suggestion if I can find the pan.

If I can find the oil.

It's a different taste sensation. Next I should try them with chocolate syrup!

Reply to
micky

I tried that with one of my wife's Kenny G CDs. A few seconds in the MW improved it immensely.

Reply to
ohger1s

You can really do that? I did do that with Amana model 2, that had no door latches, only springs. To check if the microwave detector was working, and it was. And to check if the oven was leaking and it wasn't.

BTW, Radio Shack stopped selling its cheap detector years ago. I suppose it was sold by someone else but I haven't seen it.

Reply to
micky

I have a 45 rpm record someone must have left in the sun. Seen from the side, it's one long sine wave, going around in a circle, and the amplitude is an inch and half.

I'm trying to find a record player with a 2-inch needle so I can play it.

Reply to
micky

All my power tools are Binford.

Reply to
micky

Yep, although the choke joint does a good job of blocking RF even with a gap. I just crammed a few layers of paper into the door of my Panasonic Sensor 1300U microwave oven. For a leakage detector, I used an MD-2000 detector. and a Micronta (Radio Shock) 22-2001: With about 1/32" wad of paper, and with me shoving my weight against the door hold it closed, I got about a 5mw/cm^2 indication. There was also a cup of water inside the oven.

The first time I ran it, it too about 5 seconds for the power to level off. Repeated tests took less, down to about 2 seconds. Note that the Panasonic oven uses "inverter technology" which might have different characteristics than a conventional microwave oven:

The Micronta 22-2001 meter isn't calibrated, but I assume that mid-scale is 5mw/cm^2, which is considered the danger level. I had to play with the orientation for maximum indication, but it read about

2/3 of way up the green part of the scale, and did not go into the red. Timing was about the same as the MD-2000 at about 3-5 seconds to reach full power.

The first time I did the wad of paper in the door test was many years ago on a different microwave oven. The reading was much higher and the door had a machanical latch. How much higher, I don't recall.

There are plenty of more modern leakage detectors available.

I suspect I could get some RF to leak out of the oven by taking a length of coaxial cable, strip off 1/4 wavelength (31.3mm) from both ends, stuff one end in the oven, and measure whatever is re-radiated from the other end.

No loss.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com