How do you take out Heater Element from its sleeve.

Hi,

I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its sleeve. I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it. But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

Thanks

Reply to
bigdaddy

Hello, bigdaddy! You wrote on Thu, 25 May 2006 15:08:32 GMT:

b> Hi,

b> I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I b> have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its b> sleeve. b> I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it. b> But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

b> Thanks

Maybe if you put it in the freezer for an hour or so and then try, The core will remain frozen for a short time as the outer sleeve warms up and expands. worth a try!

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

I would NOT recommend WD40 - is the tip also fused in this mess? . Is this a 4 screw "wired-in" TC-208 heater or the 2 screw "plug-in" EC234 heater?

I usually just replace the heater and also use a new barrel nut and appropriate PT series tip (for the TCP series)

There are differences between the European and North American models (Weller TCP series)

I would use a NEW barrel nut (BA-60) with the heater. In North America, since production was moved to Mexico and they switched to non-lead production - the heater tube is swaged at the end - and earlier BA-60 barrel nut will NOT fit. You have to use a new barrel nut (that handles this heater diameter change near end)

g. beat

Reply to
g. beat

Still working on that TCP S iron? The sleeve is removed by unscrewing the base. IF this sleeve nut was over tightened - and the heater "ran away" before failing - then it may take heat to break it loose.

Magnistat switch and heater diagram on first few pages

Get out your screwdriver and CAREFULLY remove the heater from the Nylon handle. The Magnistat switch sits inside the assembly !! You can now install your new heater.

This is the Cooper Tools / Weller EU web page.

Weller North American Weller diagrams (they do differ from EU due to manufacturing and approval regulations)

g. beat

GREAT BRITAIN Cooper Tools Suite 15, Coniston House Town Centre Washington, Tyne & Wear NE38 7RN Tel: (0191) 419 7700 Fax: (0191) 417 9421

Reply to
g. beat

Parts diagram for Weller WTCP-S (EU version) on page 62 (of 64)

g. beat

Reply to
g. beat