How do we put icons in two places on ipad home screens?

I want to have an icon for an app in two places on my ipad home screen, but I can only get one icon that I can move to only one location.

How do I put an icon in two places on the ipad?

For example, let's say I want to put the Camera app in a folder called "multimedia" and also on the quick bar on the home screen.

How do I put the Camera app in two different locations on the ipad?

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

I have almost a dozen apps in my "Utilities" folder in the bar at the bottom of each page. I haven't tried putting the camera down there alone or in the Utilities folder or in any other folder acceptable for that bar, but what have you tried? Of course, that would put it on each page, not just two, if it worked.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e.,     ||

I tried to put the camera app in the bottom bar, and in a folder called "multimedia".

It won't do it. I'm not sure why not.

You can easily do it on Android.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

If someone told you that iOS and Android did things identically, they lied to you. You can also easily view the underlying file system on Android, which Apple also abstracts away. If these sorts of things are deal breakers, stick to Android.

The Apple approach (for app icons, at least) is that it is easier to keep track of one thing when there is only one of them to keep track of. No need to deal with linking or copies or multiple versions. Want to delete an app? You can easily do it on iOS.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, teranews.com,

Thank you for that advice. I'm ok with the Apple mentality that they know better than you, and if you can't do it on the iPad, then you just give up trying.

I was just surprised, that's all, that it's harder to do something as simple as putting a desktop shortcut where I want it on the iPad.

I guess because it's so trivially simple on Android, that I had expected it to be as easy (or even easier) on the iPhone. But, it's not. And that is the way it is.

It's ok if it's different than Android. It was just unexpectedly hard. The answer is that it can't be done.

I understand that Apple customers give up with less of a fight than do Android customers. It makes sense. In order to keep the interface simple on iOS, they don't let you do most things.

I'm ok with that. I was just thinking that I must have been doing something wrong. Now I know I was doing it right.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

As as been pointed out to you, it's not harder on the iPad; it just isn't done on the iPad. The paradigms between the two OSes are different.

If you want an icon to appear on every page of the Springboard, put it on the Dock; you have up to five items on the Dock. If you want more than five, put a folder on the Dock, and put the overage into the folder; this has been explained to you numerous times.

If you want an icon to appear on only a few select pages of the Springboard, and not on others, that can't be done; however, you can use Spotlight to open an app regardless of where its icon is located.

Finally, if you want the iPad to do everything that Android can do in the same way that Android does it, get rid of the iPad and get an Android tablet.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Actually, I like having a phone that is Android and an iPad that is iOS.

I'd say 90% of the stuff is similar (yes, I do realize Samsung is being sued for copying the iOS interface tricks).

So it's only the last 10% which is different. I've only had the iPad for a week so I'm in the middle of my learning curve, but, so far, I can say the differences are:

  1. The biggest difference, by far, is that the antenna+radio on the iPad is horrible compared to every other device I own.
  2. The battery life on the iPad is much better (by far) than anything else I own (my Android Samsung S3 battery stinks).
  3. The Google Play store is roughly the same as the Apple Apps store, the only real difference being that some apps aren't on both, but the functionality seems the same (other than Google Play being easier because it takes far fewer button clicks to obtain a free app than on iOS).
  4. The iPad "Siri" is vastly better than Samsung's "S Voice".

  1. The iPad settings are not as disorganized as the Android settings. Both are idiotically organized (for example, why would the least used button be the first in the Apple settings?) but the Apple settings are much less idiotically organized than are the Android settings (which make absolutely no sense).

  2. The iPad is tremendously sensitive to your second hand. It's as if Apple expects us to all be one-handed wonders. I can't count the number of times the iOS GUI failed to respond when the problem was my second hand was touching the interface (for example, I had to click the "cellular data" slider over and over and over and over and over again, just to get it to slide).

  1. The iPad folder naming is cute. It's always wrong, but, I like the idea that it tries to guess what the folder name should be. Android doesn't even try.

  2. The manufacturer's choice of default apps on the iPad is way better than that of Google+Samsung on the Android phone. The difference is really huge, where the default Apple apps are all pretty good, while a good third (or so) of the default Android apps are nearly worthless.

  1. I keep all my app icons in named folders, so I like how Apple automagically eliminates screens which become empty. I also like how iOS automatically populates the screen with the icon for the latest app that you've downloaded. Android does neither in that Android will leave screens empty, and Android won't populate the shortcut onto the desktop unless you explicitly put it there.

  2. While battery life isn't a problem yet on the iPad, I can't seem to figure out how to turn off the GPS yet. On Android, I can easily turn off the GpS, but, there are so many other battery-wasting apps constantly running that the problem is there are too many apps to turn off.

Given these 10 differences between Android and iOS aren't all that meaningful, I'd say the platforms are pretty similar.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

take it in for service. something is wrong.

true.

most of the popular apps are on both, but there are definitely apps on one but not the other.

some of that has to do with it being easier to write ios apps and that ios is far more lucrative for developers.

on the other hand, it's possible to do things on android that cannot be easily done on ios, or not at all. widgets, overlays, access to some of the device hardware and a lot of bluetooth functionality come to mind.

eh? it's one tap for either one.

however, google play wins because you can 'buy' an app (free or not) in a browser and it shows up only on selected device rather than all of them, without having to sync.

try google now, which makes siri look like a toy.

what least used button?

if you mean airplane mode, that's *very* common, and in fact, was the main reason i put settings in the dock prior to ios 7 with its control center.

it shouldn't be. they designed it so that would be minimal, if any.

the folder name is based on the category of the apps in the store.

samsung adds a shitload of bloat.

on a 16 gig samsung s4, you end up with about 9 gig free. from what i've heard so far, it's *worse* on an s5.

doesn't everyone need golf mode?

i never understood why android (at least the ones i've used) don't do that. what's the point of an empty screen?

on the other hand, you can put the icons wherever you want on android, which is very nice.

true, but that can go either way. you might want lesser used apps to be in the app drawer and not clutter up the screens.

apps do that and it's rarely, if ever needed.

in most cases, the gps is automatically turned off if you aren't moving unless the app wants it to be on for some reason, in which case you would not want it off and the app almost certainly provides a way to enable/disable it.

other than navigation apps, it's not usually on continually.

however, to be absolutely sure the gps, toggle airplane mode or kill the app that's using the gps.

that's true too.

there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Reply to
nospam

My wife and I and two friends tested this with three different iPads at four different locations.

In all our tests, the Android and Windows & Linux equipment found far more access points than did all the iPads.

The correlation was so astoundingly consistent, I doubt there is a specific flaw in a specific unit; the flaw was universal in all three iPads tested.

Of course, I'll defer to more stastically valid tests, but I myself ran some of these tests, so, I do see with my own eyes what I'm saying.

For example, I parked outside the local library. I could easily pick up a half dozen access points with my Android cellphone; but on the iPad, only one signal was shown.

At my friends house, we went to a corner of the house far from the router, and the laptop and Android phone had no problem picking up the access point but the iPad was blank until we got half as close to the router.

I do realize this was only a test of a handful of access points and a handful of iOS and non-iOS devices, but, the data set was convincingly one sided.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

that doesn't necessarily mean much.

the ipad might consider some to be too weak to be usable, so it doesn't show them. what would be the point?

how many of those could you reliably establish a connection and then do something with it?

merely showing up in a list doesn't mean much if it's not usable.

Reply to
nospam

This is a good and valid point.

I had also spoken (complained) to two people about this, one of whom is actually my ISP, who said that he gets frustrated when a customer can't connect to his wall and ceiling mounted access points that he installs in the larger houses.

I trust his experienced judgement when he said he called them iCrap. It was also his view that the iPad/iPhone equipment had lousy radios (he called them "radios").

However, it would be nice to find a study that shows what the true decibels of gain are for the iPad radio/antenna combination, transmit power, and receive sensitivity.

Does Apple publish those numbers?

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

your isp installs wall mount access points?

usually they just give you a box and it sits on a table somewhere.

anyone who calls anything icrap is just a hater.

there is no evidence that ios devices have lousy radios.

no, but older ios devices could run a wifi analyzer app that showed actual signal strength numbers.

Reply to
nospam

That's a good idea for comparison between two devices in your hand.

But, what we really need for comparison purposes is the true transmit power (in mW or dB), antenna gain (in dBi), & receiver sensitivity (in dBm).

The FCC must have a record of these antenna and radio specs because they are required by law for all devices sold in the United States.

I'll see if I can figure out of the FCC database is available to the public.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

which you'll never get for the base station. you may not even know anything about the base station at all, other than it exists in the building somewhere.

it's probably listed, but that's a lab test, not real world conditions.

the test is simple: connect to one or more of the networks listed in android that are not listed in ios. do they work? if so, how well? how reliable is it?

be sure to test a lot of them in many different locations to get an overall idea of what is happening.

Reply to
nospam

Well, if you were in the business, and if it kept causing you wasted service calls, you'd probably think differently.

I wonder if the FCC reports are available to the public?

A typical PC has a radio of receiver sensitivity of something like -85dBm, and a radio transmit power of something like 50mW and antenna gain of something like 1dBi.

It would be interesting to see what specs iPads iPhones have.

He's a local WISP.

For a new customer, he comes to the house, and then sites his antenna on your roof or on a mast in the back yard so that it points to his access point, which can be 20 miles away.

Then he drills the holes to get his wires from outside to the inside, to your home broadband router, where he plugs in his radio power-over-ethernet (POE) power supply.

At that point, he can leave ... or ... you can ask him to extend the WiFi signal in your house. Normally he installs dome-shaped repeaters which look just like ceiling lamps.

So, "my" Wisp has been to every home, and knows all of us intimately. I talk to him probably once every few months, about something or other. And, to repeat, he has definite opinions about his customers who bother him when they can't get signal after he has installed these wifi extenders, and he tells me that they always on Apple equipment.

It's just one anecdotal datapoint though.

I'd prefer to see the FCC report on the iPad specs.

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

That is pure bullshit. There are many reasons you may have poor wi-fi such as channel interference from a neighbor or even from wireless phones in your house. Apple is not the problem unless you just happen to have defective equipment, and that is probably less likeley than for any other manufacturer. Any device can have a defective part no matter who makes it.

Reply to
bilfre

problems when one device connects to another can be at either end or both sides, and it's almost always a combination of both ends.

anyone who calls something icrap is not interested in actually fixing anything. they just want to hate.

here are some numbers, plus the fcc ids so you can look up all the gory details:

oh, the entire thing is wireless. that's different.

i was thinking of a normal router that connects to dsl/fios/cable.

Reply to
nospam

A lot of ISPs have extremely shitty equipment. For example, in the last

6 weeks our comcast business has had a total or 67 hours of on-site support. Why? Because comcast has switched to incredibly shitty Netgear hardware for their business modems. The netgears have been replaced seven times, each time requiring hours and hours of diagnostic tests.

The installers hate the hardware because they know it's crap, and the funny thing is Comcast is ending up paying much much more for these 'cheaper' routers because of the increased service time.

The previous Motorola hardware was nothing great, but at least it worked for a couple of years between replacements.

Comparing to a desktop machine seems pointless.

--
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born.

Will check out and append to a separate thread on this topic! thanks

Reply to
Liam O'Connor

This is a good point. At home, we can get that information for our access point. But not on the road at a public hotspot.

However, my Android phone, my Linux laptop, and my Windows PC all will easily show me the receive strength of the access point.

For example, with InSSIDer freeware on the PC, or with Wigle wardriving freeware on Android, I can easily export a csv spreadsheet of all the access points found on any war drive.

I'm sure wardriving freeware exists on the iPad (although Wigle doesn't seem to be there), so, I would think I could put the iPad and Android device on the passenger seat of the vehicle ... go for a drive ... and then easily compare the received signal strength of hundreds of WiFi access points.

Since I can easily log hundreds of access points in a drive through a populated area, I would think that a look at the data would show whether the Apple devices or Android devices were habitually stronger or weaker.

Come to think of it, I think this would be a nice test since I just googled and found WiFi-Where is apparently an equivalent to the Wigle Android wardriving freeware...

Liam O'Connor