How do they put the flux in solder?

I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do they make it?

Reply to
tubeguy

Google "Extrusion"

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly impossible.

Reply to
whit3rd

I don't actually know, but I'm wondering if it is done by starting with a big bar and then rolling and stretching it, kind of like wire drawing. It seems extrusion won't work, as that would leave the holes in the solder wire empty. But, maybe there's a trick to it. The nozzles that fill the holes would have to be REALLY tiny, and then hollow for the flux? Seems like it would never work.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury Caramel bars...

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

It starts, as you suggest, as a much larger tube, and then is drawn to the correct diameter.

40x240.jpg Is a picture of single-core solder. 5-core takes a little bit more care, and will not be possible with the more brittle formulas.

The key is keeping the tin/lead admixture annealed during the entire drawin g process, yet not so warm as to melt. Noble metals do much better at this than others, and lead is very nearly a metaloid in any case - so this is no t a casual exercise. The multiple cores serve to spread the rosin more even ly, so it is not just hype.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay flat on a cold surface until set?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

There was an musical ad in the 70s that asked that question as I recall...but I can't remember how it went other something like "How do they put the caramel in Cadbury's bar?"

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

"An enrober operates by first dipping the bottom part of a confection in a bath of liquid (chocolate is the primary coating used with such equipment). The item then passes through a curtain of liquid to complete the task."

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, that makes sense, both as a way to get a coating on the underside and of the shape or the top and side coating.

Do you know whether the core needs to be chilled? I'm just thinking that some fillings are very soft and that chilling them would stop them deforming while being coated and then while the chocolate is setting.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Some fillings are chilled - ice cream certainly has to be

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Jearl Walker did an Amateur Scientist article on 'frozen Floridas', which are sort of inside-out Baked Alaska--solid chocolate with liqueur inside that you heat in the microwave.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As interesting as all this confectioners lore is, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with flux cored solder....

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

I don't think that's true. Why, just the other day I was brushing my teeth with striped toothpaste after eating some some hard candy discs that had a valentine heart shape that went clean through the candy and it got me to thinking about multi core solder and how they make the stuff. So there. Eric

Reply to
etpm

AFAIK the two usual methods for that sort of job are co-extrusion (as in Blackpool Rock candy sticks, where the writing went all the way through from one end to the other) and drawing down a preform through a succession of wire dies. For solder, drawing down would be my guess.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This sort of gets off the topic of solder, but others explained that fairly well. however I imagine they fill the candy the same way jelly filled donut (sweet rolls) are filled. I once asked a baker how they do it, and he said it's injected with a device similar to a syringe. A plastic point is shoved into the donut and the jelly injected.

A large object like a donut or candy seems a lot more easy than that thin solder.

Reply to
tubeguy

That's exactly how flux cored solder is made. Same for hypodermic tubing. Similar process for the very small diameter glass tubing used for injecting stuff into living cells. Except the glass is just drawn out from a larger tube, it doesn't go through a die. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I believe your guess is correct. I saw a marketing blurb by Ersin Multicore, talking about their process, and they specifically mentioned the use of a progressively-smaller series of dies.

They said that some "fake" multi-core solder (by their competitors) uses a single nozzle with five openings to extrude the flux. Although they didn't say so specifically, this implies to me that their own process uses five separate nozzles as part of the initial extrusion process.

Reply to
Dave Platt

there's more than 1 way to interpret that.

surely it doesn't imply that. Any why and in what sense would another mfrs 5 core solder be 'fake'?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I often care less about the how than I am about the "who"..

For example, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Reply to
John-Del