HOOKING UP AMP GAUGE ?

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

Reply to
avagadro7

mp auto

s ?

I use a Klein tools 400A AC/DC True RMS Clamp Meter model CL2000. Just cla mp around the battery/alternator cable to see the charging/discharging amps . The resolution is good for the

Reply to
bobrweber

Do you have the ammeter? If you have the ammeter in hand, you can get the hookup instructions on line. If the ammeter is too low a current, you can add a shunt. Check DigiKey.

In any case, I'd rather not have an ammeter handle the full current mounted in the dashboard if that's your plan.

Reply to
ohger1s

Or just buy something like this:

and hook it up in series with the alternator, i.e., in between the alternator and the heavy wire which presently comes from the alternator. If the needle goes in the wrong direction, just reverse the wiring.

Reply to
Bennett

Not full. A sampling device connected to an auto amp gauge. For example, th e gauge may read 10 amps on a full sweep. Is this too much for outside the dash ? How is this done if it is done on a Kenworth ?

The alt is 200 amps above 65 mph.

There are TSD factors using stereo 40 amp fuse, lights @ 30 amps, vehicle O P amps @ 75 ... where quantifying the load vs miles to go vs a positive bat tery charge is useful. Better than. 'geee whiz the lights are yellowing' .. . as too late n that is 3 hours with no aux load to reach white light again ?

Reply to
avagadro7

I'll try this again, I have a 6 year old computer running windows 7. I have not any problems in 6 years with it, while typing my screen went white! Only a reboot brought it back.

This unit is what you need.

The instructions are here on the last page, it is wired to measure battery current, you need to wire it to measure alternator current.

If you want to go cheap. Here's a shunt, $16.00

And here's a meter to go with it. $12.00

Mikek

amdx

Might want to read the whole listing, to wit: Note: need a 75mV shunt(Here Not Included) so that you can successfully use this Analog Ammeter.

Reply to
mike

Not clear what you're trying to accomplish. You will be adding at least two additional failure points in the system.

Why is the alternator current important? If the battery is charging, you're good to go.

The thing you care about is the battery voltage. If the alternator output is sufficient, you will be able to see it on a voltmeter.

That can be done trivially...

mike

, the gauge may read 10 amps on a full sweep. Is this too much for outside the dash ? How is this done if it is done on a Kenworth ?

le OP amps @ 75 ... where quantifying the load vs miles to go vs a positive battery charge is useful. Better than. 'geee whiz the lights are yellowing ' ... as too late n that is 3 hours with no aux load to reach white light a gain?

In the old days, cars had ammeters. The problem is that it was difficult t o discern if the needle was slightly left or right of center. Today cars h ave voltmeters which tells more in my opinion.

In a 12V system, anything more than 12.6 indicates a positive charge condit ion. I had a condition recently where my alternator's internal regulator fa iled and it was pumping 17V into the car. The ammeter would not have shown this quite as clearly.

Reply to
ohger1s

Here's what you need, It is a shunt that you put in series with the output of your alternator. You then can run small diameter wires to the meter in the dash. They carry very little current.

$113.00 This page has a schematic, it is wired to measure battery current, you need to put the shunt were it will measure alternator current. See the last page.

Here is a shunt for $16.00

Here's the meter that will work with it.

Mikek

amdx

I once used a length of copper wire, computed resistance to wire table. Worked for my test.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Yes, so have I, but I'm sure you know, the problem is the resistance varies with temperature. Your current has to be low to avoid heating the wire. Mikek

amdx