HOME ELECTRONICS PROBLEM - PLEASE HELP!

Last year I bought a Sony KDL-32S3000 LCD TV. I hooked up my HD DishNetwork receiver to it using an HDMI cable, and everything worked fine. About a month ago I bought a Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray player which I hooked up to the TV using another HDMI cable. The discs (both Blu- ray and DVD) played fine for a while, and then the sound and picture went out, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes much longer. I returned the player and bought a different model with the same results. I returned the second player and bought another one like the first, which I greatly prefer, but am experiencing the same trouble. The chances of three Blu-ray players having the same problem is astronomical, so we can assume the problem lies elsewhere. This is what has been attempted.

I switched the two HDMI cables. The satellite continued to work perfectly with either cable, the player did not work right with either. I tried switching the two HDMI inputs in the TV with the same result. The satellite works fine in either input, while the player continues to fade out in either input. When the fade-out occurs, I can not access the player's menu or the disc's menu or even the Blu-ray logo, but I can access the TV's menu. Unsyncing the player with the TV has made no difference, nor has upgrading to the player's latest firmware version. I tried unplugging all three appliances and the satellite from the TV overnight (a hard reset). In the morning I plugged them back in without the satellite receiver but that didn't help. Yesterday I tried hooking up the player using the enclosed A/V cables (red, white, and yellow). I put in a regular DVD which played for a while, but then the sound and picture began flashing on and off. Even when I stopped it the Blu-ray logo continued to flash.

I am at my wit's end. I feel that I've systematically eliminated the Blu-ray player, the TV inputs, the satellite receiver, and the cables as the culprit. What else is left???

Reply to
dustnik

I'm going to make a wild-assed guess...

Dirty disks.

I cite Sherlock Holmes as my authority. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It certainly sounds like a bunch of bad players. Any possibility of trying the player (and hdmi and red-white-yellow) cables on another TV?

Reply to
Bennett Price

That or DRM / bad replication of CD's :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

I'm thinking it's the TV. We sometimes see bad HDMI processing on similar models. Maybe just a firmware update on the Sony.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

The Blu-ray discs were brand new, not dirty and not copies. I looked on Sony's site but there are no new firmware updates for the TV. I think that you may be on the right track though. Thanks.

Reply to
dustnik