Hitachi Ultravision Model 50UX26B Intermittent Power Shut Down

We have a Hitachi Ultravision Model 50UX26B projection TV that was made in July 1996. Lately it has been shutting itself off at random times. Hitting the power button on the remote usually turns it back on again (you actually need to hit the power button twice; the first time you hear the TV click and the second time it comes on).

I don't think it is heat related because it's done it shortly after turning it on sometimes. Other times it will run for a long time without problem. The frequency of the intermittent shut downs has progressively increased from infrequent to several times an hour. Now, we can't power the TV on except occasionally and then it doesn't stay on for long. When we hit the power button the TV would click and the power light would flash on briefly but wouldn't stay on.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with our TV and how it can be fixed? We'ev found several other posts to Usenet where people have had the same problem, however, we haven't seen a definitive fix, and no one has followed up to say whether the advised fixes actually worked. Of course, we are hesitant to call a repair service and spend a pile of money only to have the problem continue... Thanks for you help.

Angela D'Andrea Austin, Texas

Reply to
Angela D'Andrea

Angela,

I have the same model manufactured at approximately the same time frame. We have not experienced the problem you describe, but I did have the main power on/off relay go bad so it had to be replaced. I only mention this since it was a pretty easy fix and if you can't find any cold solder joints on the main power board you may want to check the resistance of the relay contacts themselves (mine would stick closed after the set was turned off, but I could imagine that they could just as easily become resistive and have the potential to fail in the manner you describe as well).

After dismissing cold solder and checking the other components Leonard cited, I'd look at the relay. Hope you can get this fixed. We still love our set. If you need a schematic, let me know as I think I have the service manual somewhere.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I too have the same model television. It seems this is the most commo

problem for these units. On mine however, you can hear the tv clic when you press the power button. I have removed the back and the fus is still good. In fact the red indicator light (on the circuit boar inside tv) comes on when you turn the tv on. Neither the outsid indicator light or the screen however come on. Its as if the tv i turning partially on, but not all the way. Any advice would be helpful I just dont see the reason to take it to a repair shop. I'd rather se if I can get it fixed myself. And if anyone has the service manual fo it... I would appreciate that too. Thanks

Matt Walker ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com), Lubbock TX

Bob Shuman Wrote:

--
oldskoolplaya806
Reply to

This is a common scenario.

Careful! The main filter caps bite hard on these!

HITACHI 50UX26B

Shuts Down Randomly. May Take 2 Hours Or 2 Minutes.

Jeff Stielau : 2/19/03 : Shoreline Electronics

After Pulling The Chassis & Resolder All Heatsinked Parts & Connectors ( None Looked Suspicious To Begin With) Problem Still Existed. Replacing The Strm6511 (Ici1901) Fixed The Set. Change The 2 Small Electrolytics Next To It For Good Measure.

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics