Help with DVD drive problem

First of all, what a nice FAQ this group has put out. So far I haven't found a better resource.

I have an NEC DVD burner (3540A I think). It's only a few months old and until recently it's worked perfectly. I took it out of my PC case and inadvertantly opened the drive door while the DVD was upside down (power was on). I didn't think anything of it at the time, but since reinstalling it, it hasn't worked.

Basically, there's a clicking sound, almost like someone clattering their teeth for a couple seconds. The sounds stops, then repeats a few times after that. Seems to be seeking or something like that, but it does the same sound whether or not a disc is in the drive. It even makes the sound (once) at startup before my OS (xp) loads. Inserting a disc starts the series of clicks all over again.

Unit has power. Drive door opens and closes normally.

I can't help but feel this is a mechanical problem, as if some sort of latch, switch or spring has slipped out of place. I unscrewed the bottom of the drive and took a look but nothing looked out of place to my untrained eye. I grounded myself an removed some of the circut boards to get a better look, but again, nothing seemed out of place. With everything back in place I powered the drive and observed.

I'm not sure if my terms are right, but from inside I can see the "pickup" move forward along the "rack sled". It gets very close to what appears to be the "spindle motor" or "spindle platter" and just before it contacts it stutters and that's the clicking sound. It never hits, but the motion makes it look like it's tapping several times before stopping, then it starts over. The actual sound may be coming from the brass threaded rod that turns and moves the "pickup" forward. It's very possible that the mechancial problem has nothing to do with the parts I'm viewing. Nothing appears to be functioning wrong.

Image (not my drive):

One last thing... near the front (door side) of the drive, there's a kind of... how do I explain. Imagine a circle with two-thirds cut away and the remaining slice is attached at what would have been the center of the circle. On this center it is allowed to move clockwise and counterclockwise to a limited degree. Seems this part is effected somehow by the opening and closing of the door or the release of same. The only thing strange about it is that it seems to move too freely. It looks like something that should require some kind of tension like that provided by a small spring, but that's just speculation. Again, an image would be nice.

That's all I know. It's a $60 DVD burner so I can replace it if necessary. I'm only hoping this is a common enough problem that someone can identify it and give me a fix. I'm not adept enough to start testing electronic aspects.

Even if you can't help, can anyone offer a link that shows me some good internal DVD images? My intuition is that this is something simple.

Thanks if you can help in any way.

Reply to
mydeadpresidents

At the inboard end of the optical block's track, virtually underneath the turntable, there will be a switch. Sometimes it's a closed-in switch with an operating lever, and sometimes, an open contact type, with a protective clear plastic cover. Its job is to sense when the laser is at the home position, and inform the system control micro, which will then initiate focus search and disc spinup. If for any reason, the switch fails to close, the motor will run on, as you describe, and the drive system will slip causing the clatter. This is particularly true of drives which use a worm and pawl drive, as opposed to a set of gears. Usually, the system control will timeout if it doesn't receive the home signal, and will then try again to shift the laser home, resulting in the try - break - try again sequence that you have observed.

My first move would be to get a look on the top side of the deck. You may well find that something really simple has happened, such as a badly fitted laser lens cover having fallen off when you tipped it upside down. This may now be restricting the optical block's movement, and preventing it getting fully home. You should be able to easily find the home switch, and to move the laser down its track by rotating the drive by hand. You will then see if anything is obstructing the correct operation of the switch. Good luck with it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for the reply Arfa.

I went back and checked for the switch you mentioned. I'm still a little shakey with the terminology, but I think I found the switch you mentioned. To be clear, the pickup (that holds the lens) moves forward on a two rail system and stops when it bumps the spindle platter. Just in front of one of the rails (on the spindle side) there is a small black plastic switch that does indeed trigger when pressed by the oncoming pickup. However, I've been through the drive top to bottom and there's nothing foreign or seemingly out of place and the pickup seems able to move freely. Mechanically, the switch appears fine.

My second thought was that maybe the switch was bad and just needed a little stronger contact. So, I put two layers of electrical tape on the part of the pickup that contacts the switch. (I cut it up in tiny little squares). Well, no luck. Maybe the swtich is bad? I hesitated to remove the base that holds the spindle platter (and which also holds the switch) because the screws are nice and tight and I can see the switch and it doesn't seem to have any obstruction. However, I can remove it if necessary.

After removing the case I was able to watch the drive operate from a top view. I can see the clattering of the pickup. After it tries this once or twice, it DOES spin the spindle once or twice, but nothing ever gets read and then it just stops.

So basically, I think I found the swtich you were talking about but there doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't have a clue what to do next.

One thing I didn't mention before is that while the drive was out of its case (and after I operated it upside down), I did try one time to attach it to the IDE to USB cable adapter in order to power it externally. It didn't work and that's when I put it back in the case but same results. I didn't think it was relevant before and I still don't, but I don't want to leave anything out.

IDE to USB Adapter:

I HAVE PICTURES! (hope they work)

switch:

top view:

bottom view:

The ONLY other thing that seems logical is some kind electro static damage. I don't understand what kind of damage static can cause, but the nature of my problem doesn't seem to fit.

Thanks if you have any more advice.

Reply to
mydeadpresidents

You seem to have located all the bits that I was referring to, but having looked at your photos, I don't immediately see any problems either. I think it is unlikely that the switch itself is bad if it's only a few months old. You can get problems with these switches for sure, but usually only when they are much older than this, and more often with the open contact type.

You could check the operation of the switch with an ohm-meter. When it's pressed by the laser, you should read zero ohms ( full deflection on an analogue meter ) and without the deck connected to the drive electronics, infinity with the switch not pressed.

Beyond this, I think that you have little chance of progressing further with the problem, and you'll just have to let out a long sigh, and put it down as one of the little mysteries that make life oh so interesting - and expensive ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa,

Well, thanks for you time and your suggestions. I really thought you had it when you mentioned the switch. I wouldn't have spent this much time on it if I didn't think the solution was right at the tip of my fingers. Sure is strange.

Even if I KNEW it was a bad switch, I'm not sure it would be worth my trouble trying to find a place to get a new one, ordering it, installing it, wondering if anything else is wrong, etc....

I'll wait a couple days and see if I can get any more usenet responses and then I guess I'll order another one.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
mydeadpresidents

You're very welcome. Sorry you didn't get to the bottom of it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I had a similar issue once with my DVD-ROM, and it turned out to be a split gear. It took a few months to spot it, and several times taking it apart. If I had the gear, all would be fine with it. The unit would just close fine, but then make a weird grinding sound (of which I assume the gear was slipping). Since the drive couldn't register the drawer being closed completely, it would never work all becasue of that tiny gear.

Reply to
jimcripps

Jim,.

I just got back from checking. No luck. Gears are in good shape. Mechanically everything looks perfect. Must be an electrical problem of some sort.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
mydeadpresidents