Help with component identification

Hello all, I am trying to replace this damaged component (
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2852332506_8ce5251b53_m.jpg). I'm
pretty sure it's a surface mount capacitor but I can't figure out
what
it's values are or where to get a replacement (digikey?). Can I just
replace it with a standard radio-shack cap of the same capacitance?
Thanks to anyone who can help!

Nathan

Re: Help with component identification
Try here: http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/calccap.php
and here: http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/data/itemsaf/capmarks.php

I'm not sure which 3-digit number represents the value, but I hope this
helps a bit.
For example, if the first number, 100, is the value:
Look it up on the first link I included, and it turns out to be 10pf, 2%.
IF the first number is the value.

Re: Help with component identification

I did find that, but as you said, don't know which one is the value. I
remember once seeing a website that could decode these but I can't
find it.

Re: Help with component identification

I did find that, but as you said, don't know which one is the value. I
remember once seeing a website that could decode these but I can't
find it.

Since its obviously a SMD electrolytic, the value suggested elsewhere of 2pF
is monumentally silly!

Its hard to judge the size with no other reference so if it was the 108 at
the bottom indicating a one a zero followed by a multiplier of 8 zero's that
could be 1000uF, but it doesn't look that big so I'd go with the top number
"100" as 100uF and 16V.

Re: Help with component identification

100uF/16v

Re: Help with component identification

Yes it's a surface mount electrolytic cap. Quite possibly 100uF, 16V.

Does that make sense in the circuit context ?

Graham

Re: Help with component identification

 > > Hello all, I am trying to replace this damaged component (

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2852332506_8ce5251b53_m.jpg
). I'm
 > > pretty sure it's a surface mount capacitor but I can't figure out
 > > what
 > > it's values are or where to get a replacement (digikey?). Can I
just
 > > replace it with a standard radio-shack cap of the same
capacitance?
 > > Thanks to anyone who can help!
 >
 > Yes it's a surface mount electrolytic cap. Quite possibly 100uF,
16V.

 > Does that make sense in the circuit context ?
 >
 > Graham

Another important question is 'how' is it damaged? Physically knocked
off the board? They can be re-installed if the pads are still OK. We
buy 100uF 16V SMT caps in reels of 1000 to  work on Sony Digital
BetaCam machines. SMT 'lytics - from our viewpoint - are the worst
pieces of crap ever to hit the electronics industry. The failure rate
is astronomical - at least the ones in Panasonic and Sony. We use the
Panasonic 'FK' or 'HD' series as replacements.

GB2%

Re: Help with component identification

I couldn't agree more. They have a dreadful reputation are aren't even
cheap. Give me through-hole any day for non size critical applications.
They don't actually take up any more room if you get the miniature ones.

Graham

Site Timeline