HELP: unique 2.4GHz video xmitter interference, what causes it?

I am going nuts. We are using a 2.4GHz wireless video broadcaster in our home (Germany,

240V, 50Hz, PAL TV 25fps). It is based in the lower level and transmits a satellite receiver output to the upper level TV room, about 25ft away (3x 1ft stone walls in between). The received video signal has a large regular interference, a horizonal stripe (about 5% high, small vertical bands with colored specks, almost white appearance) crawls fast through the picture, accompanied by a chopping noise, about 8-10 chops per second. The stripe scrolls fast through the picture, about 2-3 times per second, downwards. A classical interference. PAL operates at 25cycles per second, German power at 50Hz, what does this tell about the interference spectrum/ freq?

Yes, we have a variety of other wireless devices in the house, including a Fritz! WLAN, 2 2.4GHz phone bases (5 mobile phones), several wireless weather stations, a Razr cell phone. I pulled ALL plugs of all known wireless devices, unscrewed fuses wherever needed, NADA! The noise remains, as strong as before. I even put all wireless phones into a metal box and carried it out of the building, still no change. Meaning that all my wireless devices do NOT have any impact at all, the other noise is the main problem. WHERE THE HELL IS IT COMING FROM?

The received video signal is rather weak, moving the receiver around yields interesting spots of "almost" no noise (about 1ft apart). Interesting to note: the noise gets typically more solid if the overall picture is better and clear/strong. Meaning if I settle for a grainy video, then the stripe is almost invisible (yet noticable in the audio part as the mentioned fast 'chop chop chop' noise)

I am at the end of my wits. Cannot analyze freq sprectrum nor do I have other tools handy to investigate. Am a left handed physicist, not an electrical freak, hence my plead for support here! What could cause this strong interference, a neighbor, the power line, the antenna from the satellite/cable (even switched off the HF amplifier for TV)?

What else should I try to isolate the problem? Cut the power line of all my neighbors?

Thanks a bunch! michael

Reply to
mw210461

If you are using SCART, it's probably the internal tuner output from your TV crossmodulating with the output from the sender receiver box. Open up the SCART lead at the TV end and cut pin 19 (composite video out). Or you may be able to switch this output off in a setup menu.

For a quick check before you do any of this - remove the aerial lead from the TV. What happens? :-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

What about a microwave oven????

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Sounds suspiciously like what my WiFi router does to my 2.4gig video link. If you have a laptop with wifi, try checking for a signal in your area...or ask a friend to bring over his laptop, if not.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Could well be from a neighbour's WiFi. As well as my own, I can see three other networks on my machines, one of which is stronger at one of my locations, than my own network ! You could try rotating a large saucepan lid around the video link receiver to see if the interference is minimised at any point. That will then tell you the direction that it's getting in from.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I agree, that's the most likely.

Most WiFi access points send out a "beacon" packet every 100 milliseconds or so, even when they have no associated clients - this is how client systems can "see" them, and send a request-to-associate.

I tried a 2.4 GHz wireless video sender/receiver system a few years ago, and quite quickly gave up on it. It was bothered by WiFi, by a

2.4-gig frequency-hopping spread spectrum cordless telephone, and by every microwave oven within half a block.

Between that interference, and the fact that the sender had difficulty getting a reasonably clean video image through just three sheet-rock interior walls, I gave it up as a bad job and ran a "composite video plus stereo audio" cable through the ceiling.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

You are the lucky reciever of WIFI data blocks, if possible, select the highest possible frequency you can get out of your transmitter. Been there, done that and solved it, because few people bother to switch their WIFI to the high frequency channels.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I bet you have an XBOX360? Their wireless radio in the box that communicates with the controllers cuases massive interference within the 2.4ghz range.

What i dont get is why doesnt the FCC get after Microsoft on this one????

GMAN

As far as the FCC and wireless gear is concerned you can move the source of the interferrence. I've read many disclaimers on various wireless apparatus stating to the effect of that. I imagine it's because of the low power output that there is no tight regulation.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That's about the size of it. The XBOX360, 802.11 b/g network devices, and 2.4-gig video senders are all certificated under Part 15 of the FCC regs. They are not individually licensed.

They all have to comply with certain power output rules.

In terms of sharing spectrum, such devices [1] must not interfere with licensed users of the spectrum, and [2] must accept interference from any and all devices, both licensed and unlicensed.

In short, as long as it's properly designed and certificated, an XBOX360 and its controllers has just as much right to use the 2.4 gig spectrum as do 802.11 network devices and 2.4-gig video senders. None of these is protected from interference by any other. It's up to their owners/users to cooperate in order to alleviate any interference which does occur.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

Text ausblenden -

Actually I DO NOT have an XBOX 8-( - and I don't miss it 8-) And remember that I unplugged all devices and also pulled breakers where needed? I literally sat in the dark with only the TV sets, Sat receiver and xmitter working.

But I DO have success, sort of: the transmitter allows to select 4 different broadcast channels, and in one (D, the highest?) I noticed that the wide speckled and running bar disappeared. It was replaced by 2 very narrow and absolutely static ones! That was actually good news, as it was a DIFFERENT interference, one I quickly identified as being from my own wireless base station, located in the same room as the 2.4GHz receiver. That one can be unplugged anytime; also I am considering to disable/cut the transmitter or antenna - the base is not actively used, it only serves as a charger for one cordless phone. It produces a very sharp, whitish bar, in synch with the receiver for some reason (overtone or fraction of the xmit frequency I suppose?), no audio interference noticable. I am quite convinced that the other broad noise is indeed from a neighbor's WiFi/WLAN system. What is baffling is that the plentitude of my own wireless devices (with the exception of the one phone base in the same room) have absolutely no impact on the xmitter/receiver signal, and this bastard HAS, from 100ft away, through several 1foot mason walls. Anyways - thanks for the ideas, hints and suggestions, highly appreciated! michael

Reply to
mw210461

Being a class B computing device, it cannot and must not by law cause interferance with other items.

Reply to
GMAN

But the 360 cannot shit all over every bit of that 2.4ghz spectrum!!!!

Also if there is a ham radio operator nearby and he gets interference on his gear from your 360 or other device , he has recourse thru the courts and the FCC to have you not use your device anymore.

Reply to
GMAN

Do you live close to a microwave tower or amateur radio operator?

Reply to
GMAN

As Bob mentions, this is most likely to be caused by a microwave oven, especially if it continues for a few minutes then stops completely. There's nothing you can do except change the channel used for your video sender to try and minimise it, use more directional aerials, or use a video sender that uses a different band.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
Gary