Help reading 5-band resistor?

I have a resistor in an analog VOM meter that I suspect is bad. It is exclusive to the 1x ohm scale, which is now reading as if it were the

1000x ohm scale.

The color bands are as follows:

Red Grey Violet Gold Red

There is a larger space between the gold and red bands than between any other adjacent bands.

... and it is of this type:

I read this as 280,000,000 ohms with 5% tolerance and 50 ppm temperature coefficient, but when I use a digital meter to read the resistance it comes in at 270,000 ohms.

I noticed a small hairline crack in this resistor and when I poked it with a pin a small flake of the outer coating fell off.

280,000,000 ohms seems like an awfully large value to me. Could this be a correct reading?

Thanks

Reply to
Readily Visible

287 / 10 (e.g. 28.7) at 2% tolerance.
--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

The trick I learned was bad(black 0 boys (brown 1), rape (red 2) our (orange 3), young (yellow 4), girls (green 5), but (blue 6), Violet (7) gives (grey 8), willingly (white 9).

For the tolerance bands get (gold 5%) some (silver 10%), now (none 20%).

This was long before political correctness existed and the few women in engineering had to "just live with it".

So that's 28 followed by 7 zeros, or 280,000,000.

Here's a good description

and here's a website that decodes them for you.

Poor me, I had to use a little cardboard thing. :-)

Either you meter is way off, you are reading it wrongly, or the resistor has really changed with age. 280m ohms is just about right.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

I figured that was probably closer to reality so I salvaged up a 100 ohm and a 39 ohm resistor and put them in parallel to get 28 ohms and the 1x ohms scale is reading close to normal.

Thanks!

Reply to
Readily Visible

It seems the 5 and 6 band codes are different than the 4.

Here's a correct caclculator:

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Or this free app from Schematica.

I'm okay with the normal bands but always screw up the gold/silver multipliers -- and the tolerance bands? Fuggedaboudit.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks Geoff. I bookmarked it.