Help on creating a capacitor discharge tool

I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV. All I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular copper wire.

Reply to
Darren Teaford

Just use a ceramic resistor accross the main filter, & some smaller caps in the secondaries. Like 1000 ohms approx, you can use higher, just the higher you go, the longer it takes to discharge caps. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.

Reply to
James Sweet

All

copper

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard some say they use a conductive foam block that static sensitive ICs come on. They say it works great, with no sparks.

Reply to
oldfogie