Hello Kitty Toaster

This toaster:

is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non- Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast more evenly?

All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just some of the coils by adding a diode.

The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to prevent shock hazard).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

..

Use bread that has little age on it. The problem is, your bread is typical super market stuff, really high moisture content. It's made that way because water content =3D higher profit. Or find someone to make up a batch of real home made bread and odds are it will do much better in the toaster.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Sorry I can't help with electric stuff. But if nobody else can solve your problem you might try a cat stencil. Lay the stencil on the bread and brush some butter on before you put the bread in a toaster made for sane people. Not sure if the butter will catch on fire, but if it does move on to marmalade and other things until you get it right. Or see if somebody sells one-sided bread so there's no other side to burn.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Just use aluminum foil. The basket that holds the bread to be toasted is made out of metal, right? Just cut the foil to the exact size of the bread and put it flat against the side that would burn. If you keep the foil inside the basket, there should be very little shock hazard, but don't let your local safety nazi find out. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

toaster.jpg

Or thin aluminum sheet, such as you may find making the tray in a toaster oven.

Cut holes in it, or another "hello kitty" profile, or Bart Simson, or maybe a "Hello Biker Kitty".

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Asbestos.

Reply to
John S

..

So you want less power on the plain side, relative to the stencil side.

- capacitor across plain side. But this will increase Pout on other side, so add a series choke to the toaster, or run it off a small transformer to cut a bit of voltage off the supply

- snip some of the R wire out of the plain side, and wire it in on the stencil side

- convert the lead to 3 wire, with a wire for the centre tap, and run it off a CT transformer plus a small series tf on one side, so the 2 element sides get different votlage

etc etc. How do you want to do it?

NT

Reply to
NT

Magnets!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

My thoughts, exactly

Reply to
hrhofmann

What a waste!

I'd have made a toaster that prints an image of the Virgin Mary. I'd have the believers lined up for a slice.

Every time Windows crashes, a devil gets his horns.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I like my toast soft on the inside, and incinerated on the outside. The best way to make that is with a propane torch.

You would also have the wannabe, clones, and also ran's making them.

As for the toast, what bugs me are wide mouth toasters designed to fit a bagel or muffin. Mine seems to work fine for bagels and muffins, but mangles thinly sliced bread in various ways depending on how the bread is inserted. I was even able to create a "gradient" toast, which was burnt on one end, and not toasted on the other. More on the problem:

Anyway, if the Kitty Toaster has some kind of design woven onto one side, just rip apart the design, remove the nichrome wire, and re-wire it in a more sensible manner. The rest is in setting the timing to prevent incineration and centering the bread slice. I suspect the most difficult part of this modification would be getting the case open, which is probably solvent or ultrasonically welded. Good luck.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Flop the bread halfway through the cycle. The image won't be as strong, but at least the toasting will be even.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

..

Does it have a "bagel" setting? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Use an atomizer to apply a fine mist of water to the plain side before toasting?

Reply to
Matt

An asbestos pad?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Mica sheets.

Reply to
amdx

Excellent. I've looked through many boiler water level sight glasses which were mica lined, but didn't think of it. I see eBay has mica sheeting for sale, and elsewhere.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Not bad, not bad at all.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Is it a 100 volt Japanese model you are trying to use on 120 Volts in the US?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.