Heat source for heat shrink

What do people here use for heat shrink tubing?

I'm tired of using matches, and a butane pencil torch seems like overkill.

-- Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled "France recommends dissolving Scientologists"

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I run the tip of my soldering iron over it if it small - otherwise I use a heat gun

Reply to
Peter

I use a heat gun..

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:445939dc$0$3686$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

an electric heat gun. Harbor Freight sells them VERY inexpensively. I imagine some better hair dryers would also work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I find one of those long nozzled butane lighters used to light outdoor BBQ's etc. works well in most situations . Big flame to cover a good size area, but not too hot.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I have one of those HF guns. Also works fine but of course you have to plug it in somewhere ;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan spake thus:

I thought about a heat gun; we're talking about those things that are basically glorified blow dryers, right? Isn't that a little much just to heat a little bitty piece of tubing? Are there any "mini heat guns" available to heat smaller things?

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Not that I'm aware of, the size doesn't matter, that's exactly what they're designed for amoung other things, it works better than anything else I've ever tried.

Reply to
James Sweet

I use a heat gun that was designed for heat shrik tubing.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:19:30 -0700, David Nebenzahl put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hair dryer.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I use a Black and Decker two heat paint stripper gun for the big stuff, and a butane flameless mini heatgun, for the small stuff, and have used both for years. The butane gun is actually a pencil gas torch, of the type that often has a catalytic soldering tip available for it. The heatgun accessory, is basically the same, in that the gas passes over a platinum wire catalyser, which glows red hot, and then exits as a stream of hot gas, from the nozzle. Intensity of the jet, and temperature, can both be controlled by the setting of the gas valve. It refills from a normal can of butane cigarette lighter gas. There are dedicated heatgun only tools as well. Look at

for examples

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Cheapest way is to get a dual heat setting hot air paint stripper gun from a DIY shed. They're often on offer for a very small sum. Only use on low power setting. Don't get a single heat setting one as they're rather too powerful.

The pro types are expensive. They're smaller so might be better if using heat shrink inside an amp etc and they don't produce so much heat.

But for cables etc, a paint stripper type on 1Kw or less output is fine. Some hairdriers can also be used if they have a nozzle to direct the airflow.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have an Ungar. You can probably buy one for $300. I also have a Weller station for about $900. The Ungar has been wonderfull and I bought it over 20 years ago for about $80.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Ahh, Electronix Express has two models probably cheaper than anybody but Harbor Freight, but these are for heat shrink.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A heat gun is the ideal choice and is quite inexpensive. But for quick jobs or when I'm away from the bench I often use a butane cigarette lighter (then give the heatshrunk a quick wipe to remove the soot).

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

I think they are basically a blow dryer with the element closer to the end of the blower tube...blow dryers have pretty-well maxed out the wattage of a 120 VAC circuit.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I think the major difference between a hair dryer and a heat gun is airflow.. A heat gun doesn't move nearly the volume of air that a hair dryer does.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Not a butane pencil torch (sounds like a blowlamp!) but I use the side "exhaust port" of an Oryx Portasol butane soldering iron. Usually because I can't be bothered to change the (hot) soldering iron tip for the proper hot air blower attachment! In either case, you get a good stream of hot air, with no flame. Does just fine for small sleeving, might take a while for larger stuff though!

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

The Ungar has a narrow opening and has different tips to control the flow some more. Its about 600 watts. Will melt solder at about 600 to 700 degrees.

greg

Reply to
GregS

snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) wrote in news:e3nhf4$pmt$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

That was the Princess model;is it still being sold by Ungar?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik