HD15 male to HD15 female cable with all pins wired

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Try monoprice.com. Great service and the lowest prices. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I found lots of HD15 extensions with Google, but all of them seem to be monitor extensions with the bridged grounds and an indeterminate number of wires.

Would a pair of HD15 insulation displacement connectors and a ribbon cable in between work? It won't carry much current and the cross will be horrendous.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

For a short run (1-2 feet), that might be a good solution. But it would probably be #28 wire, right? A couple of the wires may need to carry as much as 1.5 A.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Not good. It's not the resistance or the fusing current of the wire that causes problems. It's the insulation displacement connection. Tiny forks, as found on HD15 connectors don't have much contact area. All the current is going through what amounts to two sharp edges on the IDC forks.

For IDC ribbon connectors, I use a rule-of-thumb of 1A maximum per wire. A general data sheet agrees:

I don't think 1.5A is going to work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Can't help you there. Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:

JeffM

What's broken about it? I know it doesn't line up well with a variable-width font but what besides that?

Thanks

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

You're not using the approved sig separator which should be - see below.

--
*I don\'t suffer from insanity -- I\'m a carrier

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Approved sig separator? Huh? I guess I'll have to recall my

35,000 or so posts over the last 15 years. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

It's been a standard for much longer than that. ;-)

--
*A dog\'s not just for Christmas, it\'s alright on a Friday night too*

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, I never paid attention to it before, but your 'sig' really isn't a sig at all but inline text. In Netscape 7.x newsreader, the sig will be a dim gray if the canonical separator precedes it; your sig appears as standard inline text. For purposes of sorting and filtering, the purpose of a signature is thus negated ;)

Michael

Reply to
msg

Without a "-- " preceeding your sig, most news readers won't properly strip out that information in replies made to your posts.

Inside a thread with multiple participents it goes a bit mad. We've read your sig once, please don't make us read it again a million times - or I'll send you the bill for my new glasses ;-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to