Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

I have had this beast for about 10 years now, and it has developed a specific symptom - the right channel will cut out entirely - silent-same-as-no-signal on occasion. No pop, no prior acting out, no distortion. Otherwise, no issues.

On the output board is a DPST >NC< 24V reed relay. Meaning (to me) that when it goes into protection-mode, the relay gets energized and output is cut. The schematic (HI-FI Engine) seems to bear this out.

Picture of board here - down the page.

There seem to be a number of versions of this relay. Additional part-numbers are: 200-002-7610 and 328-46-B

Questions: Anyone else with this symptom in this device? I would hate to replace the relay only to find that something else is going on and the system is doing its job.

And, may I substitute any decent 24V DPST relay? I have lots of room to play around.

Other notes:

a) It is paired with a Citation 19 power-amp, acquired separately. b) I have recapped the power-supply, and the output voltages are as they should be. c) The unit dates c. 1978

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Update: Computer Components is still in business and has ten (10) pieces in stock made in 1978. They are testing them with the intent of sending me two - at a price, of course.

But, I am still wanting to figure out if this is the most likely issue - or should I be looking beyond.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

No, it looks to me as if the circuit works the other way around. The relay is designed to short the output signal to ground *until* the relay is energized. During normal listening, the relay is energized, the contacts are open, and the relay "vanishes" from the audio path.

Take a look at how the relay is driven/controlled, from an auxiliary output on the power supply board.

Don't have one myself. Here are my thoughts, for what little they may be worth.

Since the relay is a DPST single-coil, and only one of the two channels is affected, it seems unlikely that the relay drive is bad... if it were, both contacts would drop to NC simultaneously and both output signals would be shorted to ground. So, if it's a fault in the relay, it must be in the contacts for that one channel - somehow they're sticking closed. I'd be more likely to suspect a reed-relay fault where the contacts _don't_ close properly (due to e.g. lack of contact self-wiping, or the use of a standard reed relay which requires a wetting current when you'd really want a dry relay) and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

It _could_ be a case where you've got inadequate current drive to the relay, and for some reason this affects only one of the two reeds, but that seems less likely.

I think the first thing I'd suggest, for practical trouble-shooting, would be to catch the problem when it exists, and then trace the signal through the output board... see if you've got audio at J1/3 and then follow it through the output driver and see where it disappears.

It doesn't look to me as if the protection circuit is at all sophisticated... the relay is driven from a simple time-delay circuit which is driven by the +24 regulated supply. The relay driver is an MPSA13, which is good for 500 mA continuous. The relay itself is just a short-to-ground NC and the contacts aren't in the normal audio signal path at all. So, it doesn't look very critical to me... any small DPST-NC or DPDT 24-volt DC relay would probably serve (just remember to keep the diode across the coil!)

Other possible faults would be a bad 'lytic in the signal path (I've occasionally seen them go entirely open), or bad switch contacts (input selector, tape-monitor, etc.), or a broken solder joint that's undergoing thermal cycling. The "tap the boards with a chopstick" technique might help pin down the location of the fault.

I think a signal-tracing exercise would be a good idea, before you replace anything.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Dave:

You are right on the relay operation - I should have caught that - and it m akes sense that a power-drop would also drop output.

I will signal-trace, but given the symptoms, and with proper understanding of the relay operation, I am even more suspicious of the relay. Most of the caps are new (less than 10 years) and the switches, contacts and input jac ks are clean. But, testing leads to better understanding - all good.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

makes sense that a power-drop would also drop output.

g of the relay operation, I am even more suspicious of the relay. Most of t he caps are new (less than 10 years) and the switches, contacts and input j acks are clean. But, testing leads to better understanding - all good.

Many years ago I saw just one DPST protection relay go bad, but it would ca use a noisy output or intermittent crackles as the volume was raised as one set of contacts were pitted.

But otherwise I'd say if one side is good, it's most likely not the relay a s Dave pointed out. The best you can hope for is that it quits entirely. Nothing is easier than tracing a mute audio channel when there's a working one right along side of it, and nothing is worse than chasing an intermitte nt audio channel when it's working..

Reply to
John-Del

cause a noisy output or intermittent crackles as the volume was raised as o ne set of contacts were pitted.

as Dave pointed out. The best you can hope for is that it quits entirely. Nothing is easier than tracing a mute audio channel when there's a workin g one right along side of it, and nothing is worse than chasing an intermit tent audio channel when it's working..

The first test will be that wooden peg on the relay. Agreed that the quiet failure does not lead to the relay first thing.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Seems easy to test--work the relay a few times, hit it with a screwdriver, hair dryer, cold spray....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've had bad contacts on relays before. Both audio equipment and a programmable power supply. To fix the power supply, I wrote a program to open/close the relay every 10s overnight and the problem went away.

I'd measure the DC at the speaker terminals before and during a fault first. I'd expect something initially and probably zero if your loosing contact.

Then do the same, but before the relay.

Reply to
Ron D.

He won't be picking up any dc on the outputs. The other channel remains. If it was a DC fault detect, the relay would open and both sides would go out.

Besides, the DC detect is hair trigger on these and the meter probably wouldn't resolve the value before the relay opened. A min/max peak recorder feature on the dmm might catch it but even that isn't guaranteed.

The easiest thing to do if the relay is suspected is to thwack it while the channel is out (but not hard enough to bounce to effect a contact bounce). If the contacts are gimpy, something will be heard on the mute channel.

The problem could be anywhere. If he has pre amp in/out jumpers on the back panel, he could remove them and put in short RCA cables and cross them to see if the drop out moves to the other side. If so, it's before the junction, if not, it's after.

The easiest thing to do is trace it with a scope when the channel acts up. The problem is that once you get near an intermittent circuit with a scope probe, the problem clears up..

Reply to
John-Del

This weekend will be the testing. A new relay (exact fit) is $80 from the s ame company that made them for HK. Not bad for an obsolete part. but about

10X the cost of a similar unit. But the gentleman at Computer Components st ated that their manufacturing specs called for "matched reeds".

The relay is also large enough to open and have a look.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Check the tape monitor(s) first.

Reply to
jurb6006

I will.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

It also appears that the hi cut and low cut switches can cause a complete l oss of signal.

Remember since there is no big noise there is no DC involved. It also appea rs that some of the boards are plug in, all of those connections could be b ad.

For the switches, worjk them very slowly to find out if in the out or in po sition they lose it at any time. Also, wiggle the PC boards very slowly and see if you can duplicate the problem that way.

Going fast doesn't get it sometimes. Also when you clean them, after some v igorous action, then go very slowly looking for any cutout or even distorti on.

I found an elusive source of intermittent distortion in one channel of a Ya maha receiver by turning the function switch very slowly, and this was afte r it had supposedly been cleaned already by someone else. And this was not the first time that going very slowly revealed an elusive intermittent. Fas t action and brute force are not the best course of action here.

Reply to
jurb6006

FYI Yamaha had a whole year of amps and receivers with intermittent source select switches in the 1990s which couldn't be repaired by cleaning. They were made by Alps and had to be replaced.

Chuck

source select switches in the 1990s which couldn't be repaired by cleaning."

This was a Natural sound type with a silver front and wood case, analog tun er. Had the flat knobs for source and tape select.

The switches were the linear type operated by some sort of cam gizmo from t he knob.

I remember on that unit the asked why he had to turn the volume up to like

11 oclock to get the same level as his lower powered Yamaha got at 9 oclock . I had to explain that if they made the linkage on your car so that it was floored when you gave it half a pedal, would it go faster ? That that is a feature, a better control that gives you better control. In this country p eople often confuse gain with power. The have the volume at 8 oclock and do n't realize that some of them were at nearly full power at that point. Extr a gain is nice but they took it too far.
Reply to
jurb6006

It is the relay. Tap-on/tap-off.

And, it so turns out that the previous owner had replaced the relay by kluge wiring it on the bottom of the board, holding it down with elephant-snot glue. Which, in turn, was eating the wiring.

In any case, I will order the relay tomorrow and correct the "modifications" made to the board.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peter wieck

Huh... *I* use elephant-snot glue. It's not as durable as animal hide glue but it's a lot cheaper and doesn't smell nearly as bad...

Is the relay really $80 or were you exaggerating? If it is, replace it with *anything* else that will fit. If you don't have something, I just might.

Reply to
John-Del

ith *anything* else that will fit. If you don't have something, I just mig ht.

$79.95, no kidding, but including shipping.

a) There is an "anything else" in there now. b) I get a tested and warranted OEM part from the OEM maker. The warranty i ncludes labor should it be necessary - 10 year. c) Made with "Matched Reeds" per the OEM spec. d) And, perhaps the OEM maker will stay in business just a bit longer.

Sure, I can get something that will work from Mouser for less than $12, wit h shipping. But the reeds will not be matched, and, likely it will be from China, and it will definitely not be original. I dunno, this is not a museu m-piece by any stretch, but I can afford it, so why not?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Yes, but I'm sure you could implement another "anything else" solution and have it look fine, work properly, and last indefinitely (elephant-snot glue notwithstanding).

A relay should last 50 years IMO. And while that warranty is impressive, I can't imagine how much trouble it would be to get them to cough up labor costs to replace it. Do they go on your word? Do you have to ship the relay to HK?

Unless I was building a harmonium, I wouldn't worry about matched reeds...[rimshot] I refuse to believe that someone (anyone) could hear an audible difference between audio switched through an $80 matched reed relay and a $5 reed relay from Digi.

Reply to
John-Del

Don't tell that to the audio nuts. They even go to the process of replacing the solder in some equipment to a certain type to make the audio sound better.

They will buy a 6 foot AC cord to go from the equipment to the wall socket for around $ 100 that is something special. They don't seem to know there is 25 to 100 feet of inexpensive cable from the socket to the braker box, and hard telling what from there to the power company generators.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery