Harman Kardon 930 lost channel. Hoe to trouble shoot ?

I guess now would be a good time to dispel this old husband's tale.

When the union between heatsink and transistor is undisturbed, dried out gr ease that is like cement is perfectly fine. I have conducted a few studies on it albeit subjective. That is that the temperature difference between a transistor and the heatsink to which it is mounted is not significant, AS L ONG AS IT IS NOT DISTURBED.

That assumes it was installed properly in the first place.

First of all you never spread the compound, you put a dab or a bead where i t will be squished out as it is tightened. this eliminates air pockets. If you have a big air pocket between there you would be better off with no com pound at all.

Granted, the old dried out compound does not have as good thermal conductiv ity as nice new wet goop, but it is seated over the years and works quite w ell. If you doubt what I say take a meat thermometer and check the case of a TO-3 and its heatsink on one that has been there for decades and ne that you remount with new goop now. In fact to make sure there is no error, clea n those surfaces with "things". Scrub pads, alcohol, maybe acetone, and fin ish with a coffee fitter to get the surface nice and smooth. Apply a dab or bead right where the ounting will exert the mos even force, on a TO-3 for example, that will be about in the center and it is normal for some of the goop to squeeze through the holes for the pins. then get that thermometer o ut after using the unit to get the heat up, like on a stereo amp, run both channels at like 1/3rd power for an hour, that'll warm er up. As soon as yo u detect heat, measure. It has JUST been produced so it is still conducting to the heatsink. That would be the most accurate comparative test, but not for absolutes. It is not a number except for "how much" one is better than the other. Your actual calories of heat/watts dissipation and all that shi t matters not. Iti s simply better or worse. Try it.

Reply to
jurb6006

An infra-red heat gun is better at very close range. It will show variations of fractions of a degree.

Also very good for pinpointing hot-spots. Within a couple of inches, the spread is 1/6" for a standard 12:1 unit. There are narrower devices, but they are comparatively pricey.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Providing that the thermal infrared emissivity of the surface is high, e.g. plastic or glass. A dab of grease or some tape will make it work a lot better.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You beat me to it. It's not the liquid component of heat sink compound that transfer heat, it's the solids that are suspended in the goop. The compound may get hard, but the solids are still packed between gaps doing their job.

Reply to
John-Del

Provided they're really undisturbed. Thermal cycling can cause delamination problems that don't occur with the oil present.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have not experienced that issue, for the record. What I find is that accu racy starts to suffer as the battery gets weak. I view them the same as smo ke-alarm batteries - 2x per year, whether I need it or not. And the used ba tteries are put aside for my increasing number of novelty radios that the g randkids are fighting over. Not in them, but with them for demonstration pu rposes.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

What testing have you done?

What I find is that accuracy starts to suffer as the battery gets weak. I view them the same as smoke-alarm batteries - 2x per year, whether I need it or not. And the used batteries are put aside for my increasing number of novelty radios that the grandkids are fighting over. Not in them, but with them for demonstration purposes.

You can't do good IR temperature measurements on shiny metal surfaces. Nasty grey pitted aluminum is about halfway between shiny metal and a true black body.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Your accuracy requirements aren't high, then. A shiny metal surface can easily show up as 90% room reflection and 10% surface emission. A bit of tape will reverse those numbers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Perhaps not. 90% of the use is to verify that I am not looking at a freeze- out on an AHU coil or at the discharge temperature of a chiller. And in suc h cases, it is pretty much go/no-go. I am not the mechanic, but I have lear ned over the years that "trust but verify" does not only apply to the forme r Soviets.

But, for 10% of the use, it is to let office workers, docs or other staff k now the temperature in their space. The docs have, on more than a few occas ions, pulled out a thermometer of their own - and so far, they and my littl e heat gun have agreed.

On rare occasion, I will use it at home to verify radiator temperature agai nst the gauge on the boiler, or to look for hot-spots in some bit of audio or radio equipment, or other. And, if one tube on an output pair is acting differently from another, I understand I have an issue.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

delamination problems that don't occur with the oil present. "

What I consider the better TO-3s are aluminum, not steel. Another advantage is that they won't bend as much if the mounting surface is not perfectly flat.

jurb6006

** Though once common, Aluminium TO3 paks are no longer used by most manufacturers due to problems with thermal expansion of the aluminium base causing microscopic cracking of silicon chips.

Thermal expansion of aluminium is about 7 times greater than that of silicon, limiting the number of full thermal cycles such devices were good for.

Steel and copper alloy packs are used instead, with most having a "coin" made of a metal with intermediate rate of expansion soldered between the chip and the pak.

** Yuck. Better use only flat heatsinks.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I wonder what it takes for a guy to find a house where all the 120v outlets are wired like that.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Make sure there is a plug on it, do not wire it to the house wiring. Very against code.

Reply to
jurb6006