Harman Kardan AVR1700 Rcvr BCO update (2023 Update)

A friend has an AVR1700 receiver which displays a BCO Update message and locks up. A google search reveals this problem has affected others, but no solution other than returning the unit for service has emerged.

Does anyone here know what BCO update means? Anyone know of a fix?

We have tried just waiting it out, no good after several days. One person suggested repeatedly turning it on and off: again no solution.

There is nothing in the user manual about this problem.

Any help?

TIA

Reply to
root

Thanks. I tried to find any mention of the problem on the HK site and I didn't find this. I also called but couldn't get to a person and they haven't returned my call.

I will tell my friend to try what you have found.

Reply to
root

I see an AWFUL LOT of these being sold "as-is" and for "parts-repair" on eBay.

Must be a pretty crappy model.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Question has become academic: my friend returned the Harman Kardon and bought a Denon at twice the price.

Reply to
root

In my searches for a fix I too saw that model for sale in the same condition. There is something pretty fishy about it: Best Buy took the unit back without question after my friend had used it for 6 months. It must be an arrangement between BestBuy and Harman Kardon. I still don't know what BCO stands for.

Reply to
root

For anyone who has found this thread because their AVR 1700 is stuck in BCO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this morni ng: Connect your AVR 1700 to your home network. For me, this meant temporarily moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and connecti ng the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

Using your computer, determine the IP address of the AVR 1700 on your local network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web interf ace, or by using a utility like this one:

.html

Type the IP address of your AVR 1700 into a web browser on your computer (i t should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on your individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Harman Kardon web interface for the receiver.

Click the Choose File button and choose any random file on your computer. I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry about wh at file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted the r eceiver out of update mode.

You're done. BCO Update message should disappear, and life is good again!

I hope this helps!

Reply to
videomadesimple

is the URL for the utility I mentioned.

Or Google Wireless Network Watcher if I can't post URLs :-)

Reply to
videomadesimple

Thank you so much for this solution! This worked perfectly and I actually had to do it a couple of times while I was setting it up so I know it will work every time. Thank you for letting me avoid sending this back for a new one.

Reply to
mschmitz

CO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this mor ning:

y moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and connec ting the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

and it worked PERFECT!!!!

al network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web inte rface, or by using a utility like this one:

er.html

(it should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on yo ur individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Harma n Kardon web interface for the receiver.

I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry about what file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted the receiver out of update mode.

Reply to
matthewhess007

:

BCO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this m orning:

ily moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and conn ecting the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

d, and it worked PERFECT!!!!

ocal network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web in terface, or by using a utility like this one:

cher.html

r (it should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on your individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Har man Kardon web interface for the receiver.

r. I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry abou t what file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted t he receiver out of update mode.

n!

So, after you did this, did it help for a few minutes, or several months? I have been getting it intermittently. It will show up, then go away for s everal weeks or months, then show up. It's been very persistent lately.

Reply to
moontumbo

IP address and followed your advice and it worked. No need to connect the AVR directly to the router. Thank you for this post. I have been struggl ing with this for a year and a half.

Reply to
hassmourad

CO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this mor ning:

y moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and connec ting the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

al network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web inte rface, or by using a utility like this one:

er.html

(it should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on yo ur individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Harma n Kardon web interface for the receiver.

I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry about what file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted the receiver out of update mode.

Thanks for your post. I did what you suggested but wirelessly and it worked immediately but it came back the next day. now I don't have to turn the r eceiver off an on, I just go to the computer and get rid of it.

Reply to
hassmourad

Perfect solution. Thanks

Reply to
mirza.aurangzeb

Thank you very much... This was driving me crazy and the BCO issue is now r emedied. I wanted to throw the receiver through the window.

CO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this mor ning:

y moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and connec ting the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

al network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web inte rface, or by using a utility like this one:

er.html

(it should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on yo ur individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Harma n Kardon web interface for the receiver.

I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry about what file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted the receiver out of update mode.

Reply to
anthonyshawntmiller

CO Update mode, I wanted to post a the solution that worked for me this mor ning:

y moving my cable modem and wireless router into the living room and connec ting the receiver to my router with an ethernet cable.

al network. You can do this by logging into your wireless router's web inte rface, or by using a utility like this one:

er.html

(it should like this: 192.168.1.xxx, with the last three digits based on yo ur individual network). If done correctly, you will be looking at the Harma n Kardon web interface for the receiver.

I picked a small txt file. Now click the Upload button. Dont' worry about what file you choose. The operation will fail, but you will have jolted the receiver out of update mode.

e man thanks you are king

tnx from croatia

Reply to
msukovic06

I had the same BCO Update message, then eventually the amber light was just stuck on, even when I unplugged power. And it still wouldn't turn on.

Here's what I did to fix it. There's an power on/off switch in the back, ne xt to the power cable input. Turn it to off, then unplug the power cable. T hen plug it back in, flip the switch back to on, then hold the Surr Mode bu tton for 5 seconds. Suddenly, it came back to life.

I suspect that that on/off switch is what holds on to some reserve power (w hy the amber light stayed on even when it was unplugged) and it was froze u p in that mode. I think by both unplugging it and flipping the power mode t o off, it releases that reserve power and then you can successfully reboot it using their recommended "Surr Mode for 5 seconds" technique. Just a gues s, but it worked for me!

Reply to
rdrawlings

Thanks works

Reply to
kenwyatt92

I had this happen to me yesterday and tried the last method mentioned, flip ping the power switch in the back then unplugging the power cord, then plug ging it back in, flipping the power switch back on and holding the surround sound button in for 5 seconds, and.........IT WORKED!!! Thanks so much for the help!!

Reply to
svaeiou

Yes, I had this same issue and I called Harmon support and they resolved it for me. You have to do a FULL reset. This is how it is done.

  1. The unit has to be in standby. Push the button standby/on button until t he light turns amber.

  1. Press the 'surround mode' button for five seconds, until the word 'reset ' appears.

  2. Don't touch anything for at least a minute. This is critical. Harmon sup port said the reset takes at least a minute to clear everything. If you pus h any buttons on the remote, or the TV, or the receiver, the reset will fai l, without giving any indication that it failed, and the BCO message will r eturn.

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, here's another possible fix s ent to me by Harmon Support:

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize if you are having issue with our product AVR1700.

BCO update, is an error caused by a network software update attempt which i s stuck waiting for a file. This has to be cleared by running a browser lik e Internet Explorer on another device (compute) that is connected to the sa me network as the AVR. You must first connect the AVR to your router or Hom e network with an Ethernet cable (RJ45 connection). You will then need to f ind the IP address that is assigned to the AVR. The IP address is usually 1

92.168.1.x with x being a number between 2 and 254. You will not be able to access the AVR to determine the IP address of the unit. This must be done by accessing your router/network administration and configuration pages to view a list of assigned IP addresses and devices on your network. You shoul d refer to the instructions provided with your router for more information on this process or contact your internet service provider if the router was provided by your cable/internet provider.

Once you have the correct IP address assigned to the AVR, you can enter the IP address into your browser. This will load a Harman Kardon webpage on th e browser. From there, click the Browse button on the HK webpage to locate a file on your computer. Select any file on your computer and then click th e Upload button. It does not need to be a valid Harman Kardon update file. Any random file will work. The Harman Kardon unit will reject the file as not valid and clear the BCO update error. Your unit should return to normal operation once this process is complete.

We would recommend using only the USB firmware update method if there is an y future need to update the software on your unit.

NOTE: This may be a temporary fix. If the AVR continues to go into BCO UPD ATE mode repeatedly, it may be necessary to repair or replace the unit.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Adrian Reynaldo US Technical Support Harman Lifestyle Divisi> A friend has an AVR1700 receiver which displays a

Reply to
creeking

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 9:49:48 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

it for me. You have to do a FULL reset. This is how it is done.

the light turns amber.

et' appears.

upport said the reset takes at least a minute to clear everything. If you p ush any buttons on the remote, or the TV, or the receiver, the reset will f ail, without giving any indication that it failed, and the BCO message will return.

sent to me by Harmon Support:

r product AVR1700.

[...]

I have tried this, But after i turn off the receiver it comes back on the s ame. And i do the ip reset again. Any permanent fix?

Reply to
gomes.ee