Ham Radio license

That first line was not meant for you, sorry.

I don't mean anything negative by that but the posts got mixed up. Frikken Google with no tree view.

Reply to
jurb6006

Am Thu, 5 Apr 2018 21:25:24 -0500, schrieb Fox's Mercantile:

*Hi Snit* (aka Fox's Mercantile),

You *never* add value to *any* thread.

The problem with you, Snit, is that you can't possibly ever post anything but accusations of trolls.

*You can't answer an on-topic question if you needed to save your life.*
  1. You have zero technical expertise
  2. You have zero intent to be helpful
  3. You just want to accuse everyone else of exactly what you are doing.

Hence, you can't stay on topic and you always accuse everyone else of doing what you constantly do, Snit.

Just watch.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

I was born in the late 40's and obtained a ham license when I was about 13 years old. Sputnik had been launched about 3 years earlier (1957) and the US went nuts. We were going to beat the Russians in the space race by cranking out more scientists and engineers. Also, us kids also couldn't help noticing that the parents were genuinely worried about Russia attacking with missiles and bombers. So, any kid with even the slightest technical ability was encouraged to go into some kind of technical field. So, I got into ham radio.

You missed the earlier 110 and 300 baud modems with acoustic couplers. Nothing worked as expected or consistently. Turn on some music in the same room, and the error rate would climb. The nice part was that I could use it with a pay phone. Ah, nostalgia.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Heh, I still have one. Want it?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Which one? The pay phone or the AJ acoustic coupler modem? I'll assume the coupler.

Methinks I will need to regretfully decline your generous offer. I spent my first half century collecting such things and am now spending my next half century getting rid of the junk.

BTW, I previously had one of these: but gave it to a collector of telco gizmos about 10 years ago.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Well, I didn't really expect you to jump on it.

I understand, I'm working on "thinning the herd" here myself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

My junior high school was built around that time and had a small planetarium, I guess they wanted to get the students of 50s and 60s thinking about space?

Sadly by the time I was a student there in the early 1990s the planetarium dome hadn't been used in years and the room converted into a lecture hall for larger classes, the planetarium projector gizmo either damaged and no spare parts/too expensive to fix, or just nobody still there who recalled how to operate it.

A few years later the little dome was torn down and the wing renovated into the school's computer lab.

The first PC we had in the house was a Leading Edge 386 16MHz probably purchased around 1990, it came with 1 meg of RAM stock. A "budget" model but still probably cost them fortune, we were never exactly wealthy folks and a business-class 486 cost the better part of 10k then.

The secondhand modem I bought looked a lot like this:

but I think it was a generic "Hayes Compatible" model not a name brand.

We got a lot of life out of more or less the same rig though; the 386 with an extra meg of RAM and 56k modem from 1996 sometime ran Windows

3.1 fine and served as the household "email server" until they sold the home circa 2001
Reply to
bitrex

Depends on the type of business, I believe.

Corporations have standing to own property, as they are defined in law as something on the order of "artifical persons". The business can't hold a driver's license, though - the business itself can't drive the car - the operator has to be a human who is individually licensed. [And how this plays for "driverless cars" is complex, varies from place to place, and is far from settled. :-) ]

The same is true of some sorts of non-incorporated associations.

In the case of "limited liability partnerships" I don't know whether such a partnership owns property or not.

In the case of a "DBA" (Doing Business As, a.k.a. a "fictitious business"), no, I don't think so. The property is owned by the individual or family or other group who is doing business under a fictitious business name - the name is just a branding, to help deal with the public.

Well, this all falls into the category of what I was referring to as "flying under the radar."

Yes, if you can arrange to work on a cash-only basis for your whole life, and never file anything, you may escape notice. If you _do_ get noticed, one way or another, they can still come after you for failing to pay taxes, though. (As I understand it, the IRS doesn't get you for "failing to file" - they get you for "failing to pay" or "filing a false statement").

I have to say I'm sceptical about the idea of somebody being able to earn six figures and evade detection through some sort of very complicated process.

You can't be audited (i.e. your filing can't be checked for errors, because you didn't file), but you still _can_ be charged with failing to pay the taxes you were due to pay. Different issue.

This same "I didn't agree to it, I'm not bound by it, hence you don't have jurisdiction" argument is at the base of a whole lot of the Sovereign Citizen claims... and it keeps getting shot down.

That same argument can be made about almost _any_ claim... "they cover it up and hide their losses". Taken to extremes, it's at the core of about every crank conspiracy theory floating around the Net (or anywhere) these days... "Sure, there's nothing about this in the mainstream press... it's being covered up... see how effective the conspirators are!". Absence of evidence for the claim, is taken as proof of the claim.

Cite, please?

There are bunch of different meanings to "win an appeal". The appeal court may overturn the conviction entirely and dismiss the case, in which case the conviction "never happened". The appeal court may rule that the conviction was made in error, and remand the case back to the lower court to correct the error (in which case the case must be re-tried, or dismissed by the prosecution). The appeal court may rule that the _sentence_ was in error, and either adjust the sentence itself or remand the case back to the trial court for adjustment - in which case the conviction remains.

In some cases, judges go so far as to overturn a conviction with a "declaration of factual innocence", which is not just a "We don't think he was proven guilty" but "we are declaring that he was _not_ guilty." This tends to occur in cases where there was a serious miscarriage of justice in the prosecution of the original case.

In that you're quite correct... there's good legal precedent that accepting a presidental (or governer's) pardon, consistitutes an admission of guilt on your part.

A person who has been convicted is _not_ obligated to accept a pardon. He/she can decline the pardon, and continue to pursue an appeal to overturn the conviction or gain a new trial... and if he/she has the conviction reversed on appeal, and isn't re-convicted in a second trial, then the "innocent until proven guilty" rule applies.

Reply to
Dave Platt

something on the order of "artifical persons". The business can't hold a driver's license, though - the business itself can't drive the car - the operator has to be a human who is individually licensed."

I was thinking of something like that to avoid that "routine stop" bullshit which is a moneymaker for many small towns. In Ohio you can fight them bec ause we have a law against using traffic laws for revenue. Typical resident ial is 35 MPH, if there are more than a certain number of businesses in a c ertain length of road then it is a 25 MPH. Densely populated areas of resid ential can be made 25 MPH locally. However they must be able to provide goo d reason. One of the things you do is to ask for the data from a traffic su rvey, that is one of the few forms of evidence the state will accept from a city that a lower speed limit is justified. Most of the time they just thr ow it out.

Source : A licensed lawyer in Ohio.

mainstream press... it's being covered up"

All kinds of things are omitted by the media. One example is when Obama did n't act against Assad for using the gas. Well he didn't use the gas, at lea st that time. It was reported but not in many countries. So he was not bein g a wimp, he knew that his political enemies would disclose that Assad had not used the gas and use it against him. He did not reveal these facts for whatever reasin, probably political expediency.

Source ; Porton Down of Britain, Seymour Hersch.

Cite, please? "

Source : Public records. Seek and ye shall find.

True, I believe that when a conviction is ruled to be as if it never happen ed it is called "vacated". That is very rare.

Source : People who win their appeal yet are put on parole when released, t hat is in public records somewhere, shall I find it ?

The non-taxpayer issue was proven to me personally by examining the paperwo rk exchanged between a personal friend of mine and the IRS. He made about $ 300,000 a year as a construction contractor, brick and cement work. The I RS always knew right where he wss and never did a thing. He never saw the i nside of a tax court.

He had to turn down jobs in certain cities because to get a contractor's pe rmit he would have to sign that he would withhold city taxes and remit them , as well as supply the information on his employees. See, in this county t hey made a bog mess out of it, you must pay city taxes where you live AND w ork, AND if you work in several different cities like a contractor does, yo u must apportion the city taxes to each city in which any of your work was done and which employees worked on each particular job. So ion that case th e source is me and unless you want to blatantly call me a liar I suggest yo u find a motive for it because I am not selling the plan or whatever. I don 't WANT other people to know how to do it because it might just make them a dapt and make it impossible. Note that non-taxpayer status can only apply t o individuals. If you do business as a sole proprietor that works, but you can't incorporate. That means your personal property is on the line should something happen and you get sued. If you are bold and careful, do things r ight and don't get into a situation to get sued, think of making that $ 300 ,000 per year and not having to give away a third of it. Still, it is not f or everyone. The guy has balls as big as churchbells.

So it is not a matter of operating under the RADAR, he had to take checks a nd deal with insurance companies all the time. Personally, I went under the RADAR a few times. Not that i have never paid taxes, I have paid quite a b it, but I got to the poit where I could tell an emploiyer "If uyou want tax es paid them you pay them". and indeed they did because what I made showed up in some form of income somewhere, so technically they got their money. J ust not from me personally. But that is a completely different issue.

Actually between all the costs of hiring someone legit and not the ACA as w ell, you are going to see more and more people hired under the table. I bel ieve there are already more than meet the eye. I know/have known people who do contracting work for cash only or personal checks, who never marry thei r olady and let her get welfare and free medical for the kids and bring the ir money home tax free, making for a much better life for their families th an if they did it according to Hoyle so to speak. Imagine the kids, going t o private school yet have free medical and poverty status. I could have col lected while I was under the table but I didn't. I probably should've, why should I be more moral than the government ? They are about the fourth wors t government in the world. Second among the ones considered civilized. Fuku m. But I guess it was pride that prevented me from collecting. I could have had a free phone and free food at the very least and just about no chance of ever getting caught. But I didn't opt to do it.

SO I don't take these things likely and I certainly do not recommend them. There is risk and post people can't handle it. the people who beat the gove rnment spent years, literally, studying the law. I may have mentioned they hired an ex-law professor from Harvard. That was not cheap. They made tapes of his private lectures and I was tasked with re-equalizing them for bette r intelligibility, so I heard some of all this. I found it very interesting but some parts boring, but that is how it goes.

Reply to
jurb6006
[ snip ]

You're doing it again. Amateur radio licensing has NOTHING to do with you opinions on tax law.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

on tax law. "

And your acoustically coupled MODEM is ?

Just what have YOU contributed that is on topic ?

That is even less relevant, at least I can say that if the OP is concerned with privacy against an ever invasive government it is at least related.

Your sole on topic post was "Just do it and get over yourself". That is constructive ? That is useful ?

Tell you what, YOU get over YOURSELF Snit.

There are those who better pray that I never catch cancer and am going to die soon because I might just decide to do the world a few favors.

Reply to
jurb6006

Bwahahaha, Et tu Brutus?

Careful there son, or people are going to think you're that asshole troll.

Oooh, vague death threats.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

What a field-day for the heat A thousand people in the street Singing songs and carrying signs Mostly say, hooray for our side

It's s time we stop, hey, what's that sound Everybody look what's going down

Paranoia strikes deep Into your life it will creep It starts when you're always afraid Step out of line, the men come and take you away

Rest assured. The "Man" knows about you, what you eat, your browsing habits , pretty much everything there is to know about your sex life and much more .

The single question you must ask is how much you will let that affect your life as it *WILL NOT CHANGE*. Frankly, I don't give a damn as I don't have one single thing going on in my life such that the "Man" knowing would make one scintilla of a difference.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peter wieck

Ha ha ha, I bet he's jealous on the last point too

Reply to
bitrex