halp, dvd drive won't stay closed

Hi, I acci#%@! knocked the laptop off and the DVD\\CD drive came out and it was misaligned after I put it back in.

I took it apart

The drive will not stay closed, it still has the spring action pushing it closed but it will not stay closed

Does anybody know of schematics for HL Data Storage DVD-ROM DRIVE Model # GDR-8082N

or has a picture or explain the locking\\release mechanism?

I have one part that may be misplaced, I meant to take a picture but didn't

thanks for replies

Reply to
squirltop

the hl sux,get a optiarc

doS

Superglue?

Reply to
sandy58

I was going to say duct tape :) and mean it.

The OP knows what the problem is, and finding parts list for a CD would be, well hard.

For the OP, I have an Apple laptop CD, I'm used to taking stuff apart to fix it, if you think it would have the same lock, I could take a picture of it for you.

No promises now, just if I can get around to it, and it could take a few days, the 4th and all. Plus your CD is like dirt cheap.

--

Looking for a bulk file Renamer?
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

On these drives there often is a small hole where in emergencies a paper clip would be inserted to release the drawer. Have a go with that paper clip and see exactly where the paper clip would land and what part it would press. There should be some spring tension against insertion of the clip at that point - you'll find an electromagnet nearby which will be moving the part (bar?) in the same manner when the drive normally ejects. That tension might have gone, or something else has been bent or twisted in the way. Perhaps your misplaced part is the spring?

Or just toss the drive - replacements are cheap.

- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Use good ol' DUCT TAPE or better yet Gorilla tape. That should hold it shut.

Reply to
Shaun