goodbye to analog TV modulators

With the surge in digital television, soon those of use that like to distribute and mix RF into the house coax will have lost that nice ability, until an affordable digital video modulator comes along. I've been scouring the net looking if this is available yet, but haven't seen it. (and no, I don't want to be switching between analog and digital tuners......it's too confusing for the family) I'm trying to make it a turnkey operation, so feeds like surveillance cams, off-air signals and other video feeds can all coexist on the same wire and be switched cleanly via the digital tuner. Has anyone seen an affordable digital modulator yet??

Les KA9GLW

Reply to
les

Not likely.

But why are you worrying about something that ins't going to be an issue for many years? Your modulators aren't going to stop working on June 12th. :) There will still be plenty of need for analog RF video.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Why ? just about any digital TV still recieves analong signals. It is channel XX.0 in the tuner's lineup whereas the digital channels are XX.1 .2 .3 .4 ect.

So where's the problem?

Gnack AEH4BW

Reply to
Gnack Nol

I wanted to make it a straight tuning sequence for the family, dumping analog forever. Using the present analog modulator has been problematic with adjacent band bleedover, even intermitent skip propagation from nearby cities and perhaps poor design of the modulator itself (I tried 3 different models). All have performed marginally under the circumstances. I think given the nature of digital, interference at least would be eliminated. We live in the Chicago area with 25 off air channels available, and channels 3-4 are as usual tough to negotiate via a cheap modulator feeding 150 feet cumulative RG-6 and active quad splitter.Several permutations of booster vs. splitter combinations have yeilded no significant improvement. I contemplated a deep notch filter, but never got into it. That's why I thought a robust ATSC modulator could fix the issues.

Les KA9GLW

Reply to
les

I see it looks like you really need a bunch of now obsolete MATV parts like tunable mixers to keep sidebands suppressed and an antenna trap for the channel 3 signal. Toobad you don't know someone who is replacing a bunch of hotel systems that you could get the head end parts from

Without a fairly large investment it's hard to actually combine signals through a simple splitter.

Though you can homebrew your own sideband traps fairly easily if you have a well stocked junk box. tunable channel 3 traps are very simple just a few turns of wire and a trimmer capacitor.

Likely somewhere they do make digital modulators but I would not want to even think of buying one since I would guess they are currently in the domain of broadcast equipment and we all know how inflated those prices are.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol

Gnack.. I know you can appreciate the problems. In addition, all my off-the-shelf modulators seem to "lose their signal into the noise" and need periodic rebooting (off/on) to refresh their output......strange...?? (overload? impedance mismatch?..??? bad design?) So my quest will continue for that elusive modulator.

I know one day they'll appear at some hamfests, and for reasonable prices..........................(but I'm hoping someone in China is making a home version at this moment)

Les

Reply to
les

Gnack Nol wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com:

My digital converter does NOT pass analogue signals nor does it receive xx.0 channels. When I try xx.0, it shows xx.1.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

How will you get channel 3 / 4 interference after all those pesky analog transmitters are turned off ? Here we have a PC equipped with an ATI HDTV Wonder tuner and DVD drive dedicated to the 50" DLP set. 2 more computers also have DTV tuners and sometimes all 3 are in record. The shows end up as .MPG files on the various machines. It takes about

5 minutes to edit out the commercials from the MPEG files and reduces the size to 2/3 of the original. 10/100 network link is just fine for playing HD files PC to PC (though gigabit lan is quicker for moving 5 gig files) and the computers are nothing special. The dedicated machine gets used TiVo like all the time. Start recording at 10 and then do something else for 20 minutes. Start watching and skip all the commercials - I'm not buying that stuff anyway. 1 terabyte drives are < $100 and hold >200 'hours' (42 minutes) of HD video. Cat 6 and a router glues it all together. AND, you can access missed shows on FOX/ CBS/NBC/ABC and get Hulu and Joost via the .net. If you're not doing TV on PCs it seems odd at first but it works well and costs little.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

The feature is called "analog pass-through" and it is only present on some DTV converter boxes (possibly a minority). You might get some analog reception even on those without it, but that's just leaking through or being picked up by the cables. They won't tune to the analog channels.

For most people this won't matter after the switchover.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

snipped-for-privacy@repairfaq.org (Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@repairfaq.org:

My vcr 'passes through' when turned off. I don't know why the DTV converters were not designed to pass through when off. It couldn't cost very much.

It is 'annoying' because there WILL be some analogue stations, even after the drop dead date.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Some DTV converters _do_ pass thru when off. The Zenith DTT901 does -- and it's "coupon qualified". However, the pass thru appears best in the VHF HI/LO range -- with "ok" signal on UHF Ch 21 -- "poor" signal on UHF 32 -- and "un-useable" signal on UHF 57. THAT is going to be an irritation for some folks that will expect to watch UHF LPTV stations.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2