Good cleaner lube?

Being cheap I can be, but I also like to experiment with cleaners and lubes. I have found that sometimes substituting electronics contact cleaning products with others can work very well but not be completely appropriate. Therefore, I tried Paslode cleaner/degreaser (for power nailers etc.). It's slow evaporating and is on the borderline of affecting the surface of some plastics. However, Paslode is a super effective contact and control cleaner. I found if I cleaned a potentiometer with Paslode, then followed up with Tech Spray Lub-A-Trol, the results were excellent and I have'nt had to re-apply these products since (they also work reliably on tuning condensor leaf spring contacts). All other products I used eventually failed.

Disclaimer:

I will not be responsible for any adverse affects of the above products when not used as the labels instruct. ;)

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Thanks for the product suggestions.

Do I take it from your disclaimer that you WILL be responsibile for any adverse effects if the products are used as the labels instruct?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:dHXmg.143226$eZ1.115136 @fe01.news.easynews.com:

Ok. Substitute this one!

I will not be responsible for any adverse affects resulting from the use of the above

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Where might this be commonly available??

greg

Reply to
GregS

I gave up, for now, of my quest to buy Cramolin Contaclean. Its costs hundreds of dollars to get it shipped into the US.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Try Caig Deoxit and/or the other items in their product line.

Radioshack (eeewwww) even carries some of the Caig line.

--
Mr.E
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) wrote in news:e7hjvc$5i5$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

My can of Tech Spray Lub-A-Trol is so old, I think it was replaced with this:

The old product has silicon and a white lubticant (probably lithium) plus a cleaner.

The Paslode is sold at Home Depot in the tool department, near power nailers etc.

Reply to
Dave M.

snipped-for-privacy@totally.invalid wrote in news:gkpo92tcd0jddfr9j7o3il03rg89trpmqr@

4ax.com:

I havn't tried Deoxit, but you get next to nothing in volume and it's sooo... expensive.

Reply to
Dave M.

According to the CAIG web site, Cramolin was discontinued because of EPA rules. They list Deoxit as the replacement. If you're able to find it anywhere in the world, it's probably vendor old stock.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

Its also only a 5 % mixture. You can by 100% in a tube. I bought their internet sample kit some time ago and it seems to be very comparable to 100 % Cramolin.

greg

Reply to
GregS

They discontinued it beacause they quit buying it from the maker in Germany. They wanted to do it theirselves, so they made a substitute. The Cramolin company has never stopped making it.

greg .

Reply to
GregS

Hello, and I've used DeoxIT D5 spray for several years now. It is without a doubt the best electrical contact cleaner I've ever come across. It does wonders with old scratchy radio potentiometers (volume/tone controls) and works its magic on old model train layouts where voltage drops on metal-to-metal track feeds and other contacts can be a big headache. Caig products may seem expensive but a little of them goes a long way. And it usually will be quite a while before you have to use them again. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood

I've always had good luck with Nu-Trol Control Cleaner made by

It's cat number 401B-140g (barcode 779008401149).

Reply to
Ken Layton

It's a big can!!

I have been playing with CRC cans from The Home Depot. Very inexpensively priced. Both a lub and a cleaner only. I think it was in the electrical department. Seems like these were less than half the price of comparables. I also find plain alcohol to be as good as most cleaners. I also like Stabilant. Since Stabilant is mostly suspended in alcohol, its a very effective cleaner-inhancer.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I do like the LPS product line but it always seems harder to find. The Cramolin company, like LPS, is a ITW company.

greg

Reply to
GregS