Gig-Ohm resistor

I have never heard the term Gigaohms used with resistors. Is this a valid term? With computer hard drives, if a drive is 1000 megabytes, it's called one gigabyte.

Using some resistor color code software I have, it does not use that term. For example, brown black gray says 1000M. or red red white is listed as 22,000M

In real life I have never used any resistor with that high of a capacity, I dont even know if they are made, but would 1G or 22G be valid for the examples above?

Reply to
tubeguy

I have a number of high precision multi-Gohm resistors, for calibrating RLC meters, for when I used to repair those. They look like reed relays at first sight, enclosed in presumably evacuated glass envelopes.

Reply to
N_Cook

** Tube and FET condenser microphones use resistors of 1 or 2 Gohms.

Example:

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sure, why not?

I've designed instrument front ends using resistors as large as 50G, which you can get from Digikey. (In fact they sell 500 Gohm resistors in surface mount.)

One thing to remember is that they're very very slow--a 500G resistor makes a 1-second time constant with 2 pF!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

There may be a safety requirement to discharge across a safety barrier, without affecting normal leakage, for static discharge.

RL

Reply to
legg

Yep have used G ohm resistors and have measured currents in the 1E-12 region.

For that matter I replaced a 10 megohm 200 Watt resistor. It was a bleed resistor on a 15 kV supply,

Reply to
Ron D.