Giant 9volt battery

I've seen pictures but never had a Type B (67.5 volt battery) in hand. I just got one at an auction in a box of tubes I bought. It looks just like a giant 9v battery. Same sort of clips on top, just a tad larger.

It's a RCA No. VS 218.

Of course it's dead, but I'm keeping it because it's kind of historic....

I imagine it dates back to the 1930s or 40s. But there is no leakage and it's package is clean.

I just calculated. It must contain 45 cells inside its cardboard container.

Reply to
tubeguy

Some people scan the label so replicas can be made.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember testing one of those with my tongue. Once.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Am 19.04.2019 um 02:01 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com:

Just like this with 75V:

?

Reply to
Peter Gierschner

Hello, and I once owned a 1950s era Westinghouse 4-tube (1R5, 1U4, 1U5,

3Q4 low voltage filaments) AM band portable radio that used one of those batteries as the "B" battery and two 1.5V cells as the "A" battery for the tube filaments. IIRC it had a fairly large loudspeaker for a small, lightweight portable radio and the audio fidelity was very good. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

I had a device which contained what looked like 6 volt lantern batteries but were 1.5 volts each.

Reply to
Lucifer

Hi all,

The PP9 is a large (much bigger than a standard 9V, also known as a PP3) that is still available. Ever Ready in the UK had a range of these the PP stood for "Power Pack". You can look at it on Wikipedia:

Regards, Tim

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

AD4 maybe. There were others too.

Reply to
tabbypurr

As a slight digression, besides that Westinghouse tube portable radio, one of my relatives had a 1960s era LW/AM/SW transistor portable (in a fabric covered wood case) made by Reela in France. It used an Ever Ready (not Eveready) PP11 battery

This battery had two separate 4.5V sections but the radio used both in series. We couldn't locate a stateside source for the battery so we replaced the battery connector with a standard 9V snap-on. The bands were selectable via front panel pushbuttons. The selectable bands were Grandes Ondes (GO) 150-300 kHz, Petites Ondes (PO) 520-1600 kHz and Ondes Courtes (OC) 5-20 MHz. Sincerely,