GE Oven has 50v on element lead with oven OFF

The other day, the bake element in my GE Oven caught fire. My wife couldn't get it out so I told her to trip the breaker. When she got back the fire was out. I wondered at the time, could the element have power with the oven Off? I didn't think much more about it but when the new element arrived, I decide to test the lead and sure enough, it reads 50v.. with the oven off! I don't think this in normal and have not installed the new element. I can't find anyone else with this problem on the net. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
jwmitche

Tell us more about the oven. Is it electronic or mechanical controls?

I assume you were measuring with a DMM, which has a very high input impedance.

50 VAC on a DMM could just be capacitive or inductive coupling to the (now) open oven element.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

The oven "should" have 120 with respect to ground on one side of it in the US . . .

Always trip the breaker when replacing elements in a stove or oven.

They use a single set of contacts in the controller(s) and wire the elements across the 240 line. The switch will break one side of the line, but that still leaves 120 volts to ground on the other side.

For only reading 50 volts - the switches themselves build up some carbon in them and there's probably some leakage, or other anomaly caused by a high impedance voltmeter, but one side to ground should have 120, and with the Tstat calling for heat both sides to ground or

240 across them.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Reply to
Andy

The oven is electronic GE Profile about 10 years old. I was measuring with a standard multimeter. Prior to that, I dedected that it was energized when the light on my circuit tester lit.

Reply to
jwmitche

jwmitche: Much like the high impedance input of many multi-meters, a neon light circuit tester can light up with capacitive or inductive coupling and when no real current is available. To be certain if the element is energized or not , I would use a small incandescent night light or small 7watt Christmas tree lamp...I have one in a socket with test leads attached just for the purpose...... and be certain to measure only the two connections that would go to the element, do not involve ground measurements for this test.... -- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

It's probably leakage in the oven thermostat or circuit breaker. It's likely at next to no current at all but modern multimeters are very sensitive, you can hold a probe up in the air and pick up several volts in an electrically noisy environment.

Reply to
James Sweet

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED. I got brave and installed the new element and all is fine. And it does appear to be off when the oven is off. I baked some cookies to try it out.

THANKS AGAIN for your advice.

Reply to
jwmitche