GE 387NX198 SCR Datasheet

Google comes up empty.

This is a hockey puck SCR. Based on its performance, it is also unusually fast for a garden variety SCR. The closest I can find is for the C387 series found in a 1977 GE datasheet, which is similar and fast and may be its predecessor, but doesn't go up to anywhere close to the voltage I've been using it at (!!) without problems.

Thanks!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Is this the data sheet you found?

The charts at the top say 120 to 550 A, depending on the frequency, 2 uS typical turn-on, 30 to 40 uS typical turn-off. The "N" in the part number implies that it's an 800 V part. The flange on the top is 2.2" diameter. It also talks about a "new high-frequency rating" for rectangular pulses, but that seems to have more to do with current and pulse shape, than voltage.

Some other sources say that the GE designation for the above data sheet was "specification sheet 170.44".

Google Books has a few different versions of the GE SCR manual, but they won't show the scans. I found a scan at (slightly munged) www dot introni dot it /pdf/GE%20-%20SCR%20manual%201972 dot pdf , but all it has on the C387 is a similar overview sheet to the two documents above.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Yes, I beleive that's the one I found. I suppose it's possible this unit that part and they simply labeled a much better part "N" to satisfy a specific order.

Thanks for checking!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

> Some other sources say that the GE designation for the above data sheet
> was "specification sheet 170.44".
>
> Google Books has a few different versions of the GE SCR manual, but
> they won't show the scans.  I found a scan at (slightly munged)
> www dot introni dot it /pdf/GE%20-%20SCR%20manual%201972 dot pdf
> , but all it has on the C387 is a similar overview sheet to the two
> documents above.
>
> Matt Roberds
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

What is the application ? Part numbers do not matter as much anymore except for ordering. If you can figure out what gate voltage/current triggers it and the voltage, current and speed ratings you can plug all that into a sel ector guide like on Digikey, or I've heard Mouser has that as ell, and prob ably a few other places.

Reply to
jurb6006

It's for an existing applications and is running fine at 1,450 V, and few kA pulsed.

I'd be happier knowing its ratings actually support that though! ;-)

The C387 series doesn't come anywhere close.