Gas Dryer Air

The igniter is out in my gas dryer. Most likely that's it -- there is no clicking sound when starting the dryer like before. It's not worth it to have a repairman come out. It's in an unheated area, so as a temporary fix, I'd like to direct warm dry air from the house to the inlet with a length of duct hose, but don't know where the air comes into the dryer. Anyone know where the air inlet is in these?

Thanks in advance

Snuffy

Reply to
Newgene McMensa

a) Dryers are very simple beasts. So simple that more-or-less anyone famili ar with the operation of basic hand tools who understands basic electrical precautions, and knows enough to take many pictures during the disassembly operation to aid the re-assembly is qualified to make basic repairs. b) A repair person will charge anywhere from $75 - $150 to walk in the door , and then any parts on top of that. And as igniter repairs require conside rable disassembly, probably another hour in labor. c) If the machine is 20+ years old, it may need replacement anyway, so a vi sual inspection by you prior to making any repairs and/or expending any pay ments on outside labor or parts would be a good thing.

And, if you do decide to make repairs, replace the drum gasket, bearing and rollers as well. Doing that + the igniter makes the dryer "practically new " but for the motor - and those seem to go very nearly forever in my direct experience.

Look all this up on You-Tube, there will be many such repairs shown, probab ly one for your specific brand and type of dryer.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Oh, the air from your house will be far too humid to dry clothes in the way you describe - unless you have several hours (wool) or days (cotton) to spend on it.

Air Drying in that cold room is as good or better as the air in that room will be far less humid than that from your house under most condition. If you live in tropical climes, no. But if you are in the great frozen north, or equivalent, yes.

Reply to
pfjw

Would a portable electric heater and a tent like structure be an option? Do you have a tarp handy?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

When you get it setup, please post a photo at

Retired

is no clicking sound when starting the dryer like before. It's not worth it to have a repairman come out. It's in an unheated area, so as a temporary fix, I'd like to direct warm dry air from the house to the inlet with a length of duct hose, but don't know where the air comes into the dryer. Anyone know where the air inlet is in these?

LOL! Funny boy!

This is similar and gave me enough info...

Newgene McMensa

the way you describe - unless you have several hours (wool) or days (cotton) to spend on it.

room will be far less humid than that from your house under most condition. If you live in tropical climes, no. But if you are in the great frozen north, or equivalent, yes.

It's very dry here inside, but we keep it cool. Right now, without heat, a normal load of cotton clothes takes about 3 times as long as normal. I usually run one cycle, take out the light stuff and run it 2 more times for jeans & towels.

If I knew where the room air comes in, I can run a 6-ft duct over to a warmer area.

Reply to
Newgene McMensa