Garage door opener puzzle

Trying to find out why operation is erratic, I measured the voltage across the hard-wired pushbutton in the garage.

The button is illuminated by a red LED, which is in series with a 1k resistor across the switch. The LED is always on. Pressing the switch shorts the resistor-LED pair and operates the door.

The puzzle is that when I disconnect the LED-switch assembly and measure the voltage across the wires from the opener unit, I get only a couple hundred millivolts DC, and less AC.

How is it possible for the LED to light with only 200 mV across it?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

it's a pulsed waveform that you can't measure with a regular DVM maybe?

Reply to
frank

Hmm. Could be. Time to limber up the ol' wiggle tube.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Reconnect the LED/resistor and remeasure.

Reply to
ohger1s