Fujitsu Siemens V5505 laptop.

Just won a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with a bricked HDD.

Linux based partition tools were able to recognise that the "HDD is bad" - although it may have been occasionally poking its head above the parapet, because at one point the tools exited with a message that server edition wasn't supported.

With a replacement HDD; the XP Pro install disk went through the motions all the way to the partition setup screen - then said no HDD was present.

Since Linux based tools found the drive OK; I installed Fedora, that went without a hitch and everything seems to be working.

The laptop is now capable of doing the job I wanted it for, but I'm used to Windows, and finding out what's preventing the install would make life easier.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

Not real help, but can you run any deeper HDD diagnostic tools under Linux?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Not real help, but can you run any deeper HDD diagnostic tools under Linux?

Mike.

Maybe try UBCD, it has a number of disk tools on it.

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

Apparently that machine needs an ACHI driver which is absent from XP.

Reply to
Ian Field

Something like that.

A freind of mine got stuck with one of those things (this was 2008/09) and that V5505 is like the cheapest/low performance laptop for "business use", whatever the f*ck that means.

It shipped with Vista, not XP.

Anyway, check the bios for that ACHI mode, there is something you can toggle on or off (from whatever it is now) that should let XP install. But I'd leave the linux on it if it was me.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Its basically for reading PDF e-books on the bog.

Reply to
Ian Field

What about the Brother "Super Power Note?"

=-=- "Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM*." David Melville (*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Reply to
Heisenberg

I didn't find one of those poking out the top of a skip that only needed a replacement HDD.

Reply to
Ian Field

Yup, you'll need F6 drivers from their support site.

Or, if you go into the BIOS, you'll find a setting to enable SATA IDE Emulation mode. Then you can install XP directly.

Preferably something else though. If not Linux, Windows 7 might be certainly worth a go.

--
Adrian C
Reply to