Four questions about actual antennas and their installation

I've made great use of tvfool.com, which I think I learned about here, and it seems to say that I would have to go at least 50 feet high -- much higher than I had in mind -- just to get 2 to 4 stations that I can't get with an antenna in my attic. And they would probably be network stations with mostly the same programs as a station I already get. Also it says that all the additional stations I really want to get (the ones in DC) are within 4 degrees of each other! and within

10 degrees of the direction the rafters/trusses in my attic point. So I think I'm pretty lucky and I'm going with an attic antenna, for channels 7 and up. But how big?

1) I plan to bring the antenna into the attic, unfolded, of course. For those who have seen one, or better yet, installed one, is it possible with a Winegard antennas, or any other brand, to start with a folded antenna, unfold an element a little bit, remove it completely, and reattach it in the fully unfolded position? (I"m afraid they might be riveted on, loose enough to open but able to be removed.)

I may need to get past a 2x4. My pitched roof is not free-standing, but has trusses every 24 inches. And those trusses include inverted W's, made by 2x4s. Only 2 of the 2x4s are likely to be in the way. But I'm trying to foresee all the possible mounting problems.

2) Is each element on the antenna responsible for one (or more) channels? Or is sometimes more than one element able to receive the same channel? I ask because: It's conceivable, and more likely if I get a bigger antenna, that one of the truss 2x4's will be so much in the way that I'll have to remove an antenna element permanently. I'm sure this question is obvious, so please excuse me, but which is better, an antenna with 36 elements but where one was permanently removed in order to mount or aim the antenna, or a smaller one one with 28 elements, all of them still present. ??? (Or 41 vs. 36 elements) IIUC, I might remove an element essential for a station I want, but in that case, I could probably remove another meant for a station I can't receive anyhow, move the antenna up or down, forward or back, until I can put the first one back in place. That would work, right??

3)I won't need an assistant for aiming because I have a co-ax splitter in the attic, I'll bring a tv up, and I'll have RF remote control for the DVDR tuner. So: Should I use a color tv, or is a (lighter) B&W tv just as good?? The B&W is 12 and I think the color is 14 inch. (I have no stairs, just a hatch in the closet)

4) Does it matter if I tighten the F-connector all the way to tight. Usually, just touching the center wire to the center hole is enough to get a good and strong picture, without even touching the outer nut to anything. I'll certainly screw the connector on, but with weak signals, like distant channels, does it matter if the connection is tight?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
mm

All are riveted that I know of. So IMHO, no.

For a LP antenna, each element is contributing signal. Other designs vary. You probably would creat a slightly non-linear response removing one elemement, but that's life. Could you bend the element a bit?

Use the largest, best TV possible.

It may help prevent oxidation and future bad contact.

Reply to
PeterD

Has anyone figured out yet you are just a troll?

Reply to
Meat Plow

That makes sense. It's not a Tinker Toy, and one certainly doesn't want it coming apart on top a mast. In fact, someone in NYC, on Fifth Avenue was killed about 20 years ago when someone dropped a curtain rod out of a window. I don't know how big the rod was, but I have the image not that it hit him on the head but that it stabbed him.

I suppose. It offends my sense of how one treats something new, but these are only partly works of art. They're meant to do something.

If I broke an element, would a replacment have to have the same cross section, or would anything the same length made out of the same material (aluminum), work well?

Okay, I'll use color.

Okay, I'll do that too.

I wonder why Meat Plow thinks I'm trolling. This antenna could easily last me 30 years if I live so long. It's worth doing it right.

Thanks again.

Reply to
mm

On Dec 15, 8:07=A0pm, mm wrote: ...snip, too much...

with regard to removing an element.

sure, snap it off, but save it.

Drill a hole through the board large enough and remount the element to the antenna.

Just picture making the whole antenna, look like it did before, but intertwined in the wood structure.

Below, 300MHz, should be no problem. And you said you were intereseted in ch 7, 175MHz?

At reall high frequencies the wood, and its moisture, start getting back into the picture. [sorry for the pun]

However, break, or cut, but be sure to reconnect smoothly. Contact at one point is not good enough. Think surfaces, this is RF.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Buy one of these and you probably won't have to cut anything apart and re-assemble. It's 3ft x 5ft horizontally.

No, it's not for everybody in that it does not do channels 2-6 but there aren't many places with VHF lo. A little GC 10-8101 on the connectors will keep water and corrosion out for many years. After the connector is installed on the cable, place the silicone on the center conductor before screwwing it to the mate. Connector should be 'snug' but don't 'torque' it down too hard.

O1721829242

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46