Ford 9N ignition question.

> I think

>> the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere >> in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the >> ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know? >> Thanks, >> Eric > > >Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser. >THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points >instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

'Condenser' is an outdated name for capacitors.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

** Unless you are talking about "condenser" microphones.

Where the old fashioned name has somehow stuck.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Seems that capacitor is most often used in electronics for about the last 50 to 60 years ,but condenser stuck with the one that goes across the points on an engine.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't actually see the rest of this thread, did this question get an answer?

The reason the resistor is there is to limit the current in the coil when the ignition is on but the starter is not engaged. When you crank the starter the batter voltage is low, so the resistor is cut out of the circuit by a relay or switch to give a good spark. The rest of the time the resistor is there to limit the current when the battery is at full voltage.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Just like they still call them points when they are shaped like buttons.

--

Rick C
Reply to