Ford 9N ignition question.

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.

Re: Ford 9N ignition question.

'Condenser' is an outdated name for capacitors.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

Re: Ford 9N ignition question.

** Unless you are talking about "condenser" microphones.

   Where the old fashioned name has somehow stuck.

....  Phil

Re: Ford 9N ignition question.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
Seems that capacitor is most often used in electronics for about the
last 50 to 60 years ,but condenser stuck with the one that goes across
the points on an engine.

Re: Ford 9N ignition question.

Just like they still call them points when they are shaped like buttons.

--

Rick C

Re: Ford 9N ignition question.

I don't actually see the rest of this thread, did this question get an
answer?

The reason the resistor is there is to limit the current in the coil
when the ignition is on but the starter is not engaged.  When you crank
the starter the batter voltage is low, so the resistor is cut out of the
circuit by a relay or switch to give a good spark.  The rest of the time
the resistor is there to limit the current when the battery is at full
voltage.

--

Rick C

Site Timeline