For you audio guys: counterfeit MJ15024G and MJ15025G

You can guess from where...

Reply to
JW

I buy things like that from Digikey.

Reply to
jurb6006

polarity!!!!!!!!!!/

What fakes??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Where have you been ? Fake semiconductor have been a cash cow for Chinese ( and other) companies that are not doing all that well. Or to just change th e number on it.

Also, there are some ICs they can make a fortune on, for example the Techni cs STKSVI ones. Talk a hundred bucks apiece. These days, don't count on get ting any good STK anything. At least not for audio. There are alot of STKs out there that are for switched mode power supplies and a few other things, you might be able to find a good one of them once in a while, but in audio it is much less likely.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hmmm, did I put my old SU-V4X in the loft, or chuck it in a skip?

Reply to
Andy Burns

** Think you need to put a comma after "What" and read the post as:

" What do you mean, fakes from Digikey ?? "

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WTF are you trying to say here ? Rephrase it if you would.

Reply to
jurb6006

Does not matter, it will be the latter.

On speakers that were right for them, they sounded good. But on most there really was no difference.

The main thing you get by biasing a transistor amp harder is damping factor at really low power levels. I got a PL400/2, damping factor 1,000. You can hear the difference, but not much. And the amazing part is they run the ou tputs in class B, you get the sound from the drivers mostly below a watt or two. Probably going to sell that thing, got a ton of blown speakers in the garage. Well not really. Haven't taken them out there yet to go with the o ther ones.

Reply to
jurb6006

** CD was asking if you bought fake MJ15024/25s from Digikey.

Cos your one line post seemed to say that.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

God, I hope not. I have not gotten a bad semi from DigiKey or B&D

B&D is the only place to get those Sony MCD smps controllers that don't literally explode on turn on and Sanyo STKs for PTV convergence outputs. Fortunately, those TVs are pretty much obsolete but I still do about 6 PTV convergence jobs a year.

Reply to
ohger1s

OK, I'll clarify.

I buy shit like that from Digikey and have never had a problem.

Reply to
jurb6006

://

"

Me too. I found B%D parts to be good. More expensive, but if your time is v aluable it is worth it to only have to change it once.

While I am good enough to change a convergence IC a bunch of times without damaging the board, sometimes it take time to get to it. Plus, some boards are fragile and the pads seem like they just want to come off. After the se cond time sometimes you are on thin ice no matter how good you are.

I have seen some really awful soldering. Some of these people should not be techs. I learned because I don't want to repair lifted pads and broken tra ces on the board. One boss told me that I use more solder wick than anyone else and I retorted "Yeah, and I've seen their work". A few minutes to chan ge the IC and then an hour to clean up the mess they made out of the copper on the board. And that is one of the reasons I made twice as much as them. That and being the goto guy. Shit, we had one guy who was in electronic en gineering school who didn't know the difference between a diac and Zener di ode.

And none of them understood the concept of a convergence amp. It is sorta a transconductance amp, it converts voltage to current. It was justy about t he only way they could do it.

Know what impressed me ? Zeniths. We had one for a while, no convergence ou tputs, strictly a passive circuit with caps and coils. Converged just fine. Actually had a pretty good picture. In fact one thing notable about that o ne was the sound, the sound was excellent. Found out one time while cleanin g it that the screen acted as a passive radiator for the bass. I don't reme mber the board set but those were the ones where the high value resistors w ent bad and the G2 went sky high and burned the CRT phosphors as they went into shutdown. We had to put two CRTs into it, which is why we got it cheap .

Reply to
jurb6006

I bought Mission 707 speakers at the same time as the amp

The 707s died from rotten rubber gaskets, and got chucked before I found you could buy refurb kits for them, still have the stands and original cardboard boxes for them though!

Just ventured up into the loft and the amp (actually the SU-V2X) is

it can stay there.

Reply to
Andy Burns

be techs.

It used to be ham fisted techs, now it's the owner. Twice this year I had t o salvage two projection TVs that the customers had tried to repair using a kit bought off line. One was a Mitsubishi xx511 series and the other that Sony with the conv amps on the HV/sweep board. Both were completely botch ed, the Sony missing a smd resistor. I quoted a price to repair/retrace th e boards with no guarantee that the convergence parts they purchased were a ny good, and made them pay up front before powering them up.

Surprisingly, both worked after repairing the PC damage.

Reply to
ohger1s