Follow-up on woofer repair

Maybe you remember the thread where I asked about repairing the woofer that I found behind the rear seat of the convertible. I think I asked about the 4 wires going to the sound coil.

One of the wires was cut, and the speaker connector was disconnected.

To follow up, I plugged the speaker in for a bit before making any repairs and it sounded okay to me. No rattling, though maybe with louder music I would have heard some.

I replaced the foam surround that surrounds the speaker cone. I bought the parts from the more expensive place ($25 iirc) partly because I didn't know about the cheaper place then ($20). But the glue that came with it was very good.

Repair really was easy, like they claimed. It centered itself pretty much. Just move it up and down a couple times and it was centered so the voice coil wouldn't rub against the magnet.

I soldered the cut wire and put it back in the car, and now there is too much bass! I put the rear seat back back in place. Still too much. I used the bass control to lower it a notch, and it's still too much.. Well that was true for the first 2 or 3 weeks but I think I got used to it.

I wonder if that is what happened with the car. Supposedly owned by an old lady (with real evidence that I found later that that was true) maybe she wanted them to lower the bass, so they cut one of the 4 wires to cut the bass in half, and that wasn't enough so they disconnected it entirely. Later the surround rotted.

That's the only thing I can think of to explain why both the wire was cut and the connector disconnected.

Reply to
micky