flyback diagnostics

Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a multimeter that would strongly indicated a shorted flyback? I have 2 P810's (viewsonic) that I'm pretty sure have blown their flybacks but wanted to confirm before i strip them down for parts..

Thanks

Stu

I ring flyback,SMPS's xfmers,video heads,yokes and other x-fmrs using the calibration output of my TEK465 and two 0.1Uf poly caps:

and it works great.

HR Diemen of Spain makes top quality flybacks,SMPS transformers and test equipment which have ISO9001 & maybe ISO9002 certification,they are now the OEM supplier for Sony who as we all know have poor flybacks,the proof is on their website,CD ROM and paperback catalogs. They also have free online specs for each of their products including schematics.

They manufacture the world's best flyback transformers:

At the above link you can lookup the winding diagrams and schematics of it as well.Here is an article that I contributed to NESDA:

HR Diemen SA Edificio Dimabel 08512 Saint Hipolit de Voltrega Barcelona Spain Tel: 34 93 850 23 23 Fax: 34 93 850 24 62

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hrdiemen.es E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hrdiemen.es Attention: Martha Bach Sales Department

In the USA HR Diemen flybacks are available through:

Electronica

2828 E.Colfax Ave Denver,Co 80206 USA Ph:1-800-722-5578 Phone303)322-3037 fax303)322-1135

or

or

PRB Belt Company

now bought by:

Russell Industries Inc

3000 Lawson Blvd P.O Box 508 Oceanside,New York 11572 USA

Ph:1-800-558-9572 Press # 1(PRB/Russell) Ph:1-800-645-2202 M-F=9:00-5:30 EST Attention: Larry

or

Tritronics

Sidney E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

Short of having a proper flyback tester, are there any tests with a

P810's

sidneybek

if the flyback is a TLFA01365, its a high fail flyback. They retail for $65, but good reliable replacements can be found elsewhere cheaper. Try searching google for that part number.

Reply to
Cobalt

Yep thats the beastie alright and I've read this sad news many times--just wanted to confirm for myself I guess--I've also read that proprietary viewsonic software is needed to calibrate the new flyback--if this is the case its pretty much landfill fodder (as was viewsonic's intention i'm sure) Can anyone confirm or deny this? if this is true than a new flyback wouldn't help me much.

$65,

searching

there is a tweak to adjust the HV up on the replacement TLFA01365 , if it winds up being a little low. The TLFA01365 has G2 and focus controls right on the flyback, and I have not heard anyone needing to tweak the G2 or focus because of insufficient gain. There are a few SONY flybacks that you have to tweak nearby components if you dont have their DAS, and theres no way around it.

if you go here:

(search engine) , type in that part number , and go to result #14 (products IIB) you can purchase a replacement online for $31.99 ea shipped in the USA. Also included are the tech notes with a purchase on how to tweak the HV.

| |

Reply to
Cobalt

WOW--thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty--I learned more in that one thread than i have all day :D

focus

,

times--just

the