Fluorescent Light Grounding Problem

I am making an oak floor lamp with base 4' high with fluorescent tube (strip light). I can not use standard metal shield in the lamp base, thus there is a grounding problem. At one point I had the top light (conventional bulb) and bottom fluorescent light working either together or independently of each other, but if did not last too long before grounding problem took over. How can I have a working lamp top and bottom consistently dependable. Thanks for any advice and help I can get. Nick

Reply to
nspolitino

I am making an oak floor lamp with base 4' high with fluorescent tube (strip light). I can not use standard metal shield in the lamp base, thus there is a grounding problem. At one point I had the top light (conventional bulb) and bottom fluorescent light working either together or independently of each other, but if did not last too long before grounding problem took over. How can I have a working lamp top and bottom consistently dependable. Thanks for any advice and help I can get. Nick

Reply to
nspolitino

Run a strip of aluminum tape down behind the tube and ground it, or use an electronic ballast with a T8 tube.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you're using a ballast that requires a grounded reflector, you have to give it a grounded reflector. :) Or, perhaps a wire screen would be adequate. Is the issue that the aesthetics won't allow a reflector? Or, that you don't have a grounded plug? It doesn't need to be a reflector, but something that's grounded. Perhaps even a modelsty conductive coating, a foil behind a decorative panel.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Hi...

Or if aesthetics demand it, even conductive paint.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The instant on lamps will light with a spiral of fine wire wrapped around the whole length of the glass and grounded. Something smaller than ~30 gauge magnet wire isn't too noticeable. Copper tape is another option if you don't mind how it looks where the tape is - sold for stained glass supplies.

default