Fluke 87 LCD

This is a straightforward question. I don't want it to become a megillah or
a tsimmes.

My 20-year-old Fluke 87 has one or two segments and several enunciators that
have dimmed. I assume this is due to a weakening connection between the LCD
and the PCB.

I've opened the unit as far as I care to, and don't want to rip into it any
farther until I know what to expect. Can anyone point me to a drawing that
shows how things go together?

Thanks.

Re: Fluke 87 LCD

It's pretty straight forward. A few weeks ago I cleaned the zebra strip
that connects the LCD to the PCB on my 87. Used a qtip and some rubbing
alcohol. There are a couple screws on the backside of the PCB that hold
the LCD assembly to it. Just remember how you took it apart as there is no
marking on the LCD to orient it. The plastic cover can only go on one way
if I recall correctly.

Re: Fluke 87 LCD

any
that

Thanks. I feel much better about tearing it apart.

Re: Fluke 87 LCD

There really isn't anything that can be harmed. I think the first time I
put it back together I had the LCD upside down and the display was also
upside down when I powered it up. There is a zebra on both sides of the
LCD.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Re: Fluke 87 LCD

In my sample, the LCD is held in place by a large plastic snap-fitting
cover, of not very prepossessing quality. Simply removing it, then lifting
and replacing the LCD module, fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Re: Fluke 87 LCD

Good deal. I've had my 87 forever. Before that I owned a Beckman of
similar design. I also once owned a Fluke benchtop meter with an LED
readout. I bought it used at a hamfest for 20 bucks and used it for 10
years before it decided to freak out one day and in the trash it went.

Re: Fluke 87 LCD
That should have been annuciators. I was a little too quick to accept the
spell checker's suggestion.

Site Timeline