Fluke 87 LCD

This is a straightforward question. I don't want it to become a megillah or a tsimmes.

My 20-year-old Fluke 87 has one or two segments and several enunciators that have dimmed. I assume this is due to a weakening connection between the LCD and the PCB.

I've opened the unit as far as I care to, and don't want to rip into it any farther until I know what to expect. Can anyone point me to a drawing that shows how things go together?

Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's pretty straight forward. A few weeks ago I cleaned the zebra strip that connects the LCD to the PCB on my 87. Used a qtip and some rubbing alcohol. There are a couple screws on the backside of the PCB that hold the LCD assembly to it. Just remember how you took it apart as there is no marking on the LCD to orient it. The plastic cover can only go on one way if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That should have been annuciators. I was a little too quick to accept the spell checker's suggestion.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

any

that

Thanks. I feel much better about tearing it apart.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There really isn't anything that can be harmed. I think the first time I put it back together I had the LCD upside down and the display was also upside down when I powered it up. There is a zebra on both sides of the LCD.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

In my sample, the LCD is held in place by a large plastic snap-fitting cover, of not very prepossessing quality. Simply removing it, then lifting and replacing the LCD module, fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Good deal. I've had my 87 forever. Before that I owned a Beckman of similar design. I also once owned a Fluke benchtop meter with an LED readout. I bought it used at a hamfest for 20 bucks and used it for 10 years before it decided to freak out one day and in the trash it went.

Reply to
Meat Plow