Fluke 73 probe socket

I have a Fluke 73 multimeter that looks like a 9v battery leaked at some stage and the probe sockets have oxidized. I cannot get an accurate reading anymore with known good test leads. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Especially a cheap fix.

Reply to
Michael Kerby

Have you cleaned the contacts? Start with household ammonia (followed by an isopropyl flush). Ammonia will dissolve the alkaline shmutz from the battery.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Cut the plugs off and solder directly onto the board, no ammeter function though. Or make up some sort of extender with in-line sockets and again soldered directly into the innards.

Are you sure it is socket problems and not switch problem ?

N_Cook

@ N_Cook

I've cleaned up the switch with alcohol. Only the area around the leads is really affected.

I have cleaned and resoldered the whole area as it was all dried out one socket in particular is really intermittent. Still showing around 2. something ohms shorted if I bypass the sockets altogether but its unusable in its current form. Of course on another meter the leads are perfect.

Once I clean up this socket I'll fix up any other problems if they exist including why there is still a bit of resistance there. I might just jumper across on the PCB and check it out as its hard to hold probes there and read the display at the same time.

Reply to
Michael Kerby

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:hpq0sg$1c7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

common household vinegar works fine to neutralize the alkaline electrolyte. Then a water rinse.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik