Fixing a headphone jack

I have a 1990's era AM/FM Cassette player. It works fine, except that it on ly plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making consis tent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cotton re moved, and it made it worse.

If there was a way to reach inside the jack, and slightly bend the right-ch annel contact, I could probably fix it.

I purchased a new unit, and the sound quality just isn't there compared to the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digital for mat, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly from t he 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't play them that much.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kirk M

Reply to
Kirk M

As you obviously like old analogue tech and a high lilelihood of one or more of the rubber drive-belts/pulley rim bands will be failing, perhaps you should get inside. As presumably outside of warranty. Inspect belts and see how easy it would be to replace the socket or maybe if awkwardly placed socket, solder in a wired line socket, making a hole in the casing for this wire, bypassing the original. Is there a " repair cafe" near you, just the sort of job that should be up their street, if you are warry of going inside.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
Reply to

only plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making cons istent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cotton removed, and it made it worse.

channel contact, I could probably fix it.

o the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digital f ormat, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly from the 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't pla y them that much.

If it's self contained with speakers, jump out the jack. If it's a headpho ne only unit, you'll need to replace the jack. If it's PC mounted, finding one with the same footprint will be tough. Maybe a non working unit on eb ay could be found cheap. If the jack is not PC mounted, then pretty much an y similar donor will work as long as the donor isn't too large to fit the c abinet.

I'd look for a donor machine on ebay with a mechanical problem.

Reply to
John-Del

t only plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making co nsistent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cotto n removed, and it made it worse.

t-channel contact, I could probably fix it.

to the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digital format, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly fr om the 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't p lay them that much.

hone only unit, you'll need to replace the jack. If it's PC mounted, findi ng one with the same footprint will be tough. Maybe a non working unit on ebay could be found cheap. If the jack is not PC mounted, then pretty much any similar donor will work as long as the donor isn't too large to fit the cabinet.

Yeah, generally. The jack should be replaceable. If not you could always ad d another jack on the back in most cases. Or - if it's bodge o'clock - sold er on a flex, feeding it out of the hole in the jack socket, onto which you can attach a new jack socket. Knot the wire inside, solder is not robust.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

[...]

PS a q-tip is not ideal for contact cleaning. If contact cleaner on card fa ils, try some very fine sandpaper. Better to not sand it if possible, but s anding works when all else fails.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Beware of the physical insertion (ground/shaft switch usually) may cut out internal speaker or an amplified output, so would have to be taken into account

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
Reply to
N_Cook

only plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making cons istent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cotton removed, and it made it worse.

channel contact, I could probably fix it.

o the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digital f ormat, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly from the 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't pla y them that much.

Thanks for all the replies. This is a "Walkman" type unit, so there is no i nternal speaker. It is made by GPX. I will see if I can replace the jack.

Reply to
Kirk M

Hi,

You could also have a bad solder connection from the jack to the PC board. I'd check that first.

Regards, Tim Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

I have a little MP3 player that suffered from what I thought was a bad contact but was just like you said, a bad solder joint. I ended up needing to resolder it a few times and finally had to reinforce the jack so that the joint would stop breaking. Eric

Reply to
etpm

it only plays on the left side. The right channel connection isn't making c onsistent contact. I tried to clean it using a Q-tip, with most of the cott on removed, and it made it worse.

ht-channel contact, I could probably fix it.

d to the old one. Yes, I could just transfer all my old cassettes to digita l format, but I don't wish to take the time, since these tapes are mostly f rom the 1970's, so the sound isn't that great to begin with. I also, don't play them that much.

Thanks. I will check that too. I am really glad that I learned to solder in my 10th grade electronics class. Very useful skill.

Reply to
Kirk M

I would say the simplest, cheapish, low-risk thing to try is an extension cable with gold plated contacts. Unless your plug is already gold-plated, in which case it is not likely to improve the contact...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon